Wishing for a SR-71 turned metal Pitot tube

Wishing for a SR-71 turned metal Pitot tube

March 16th, 2012, 3:24 pm #1

The 1/48 SR-71 (Testors) is really a BIG kit and that plastic Pitot Tube will have a very short live ...

By the other side I do think the metalic turned ones should be recommendable.
Any one on the market ?
Thank You
BR

March 16th, 2012, 3:30 pm #2

That I gotta see!

March 16th, 2012, 3:59 pm #3

duh.

March 16th, 2012, 4:04 pm #4

The 1/48 SR-71 (Testors) is really a BIG kit and that plastic Pitot Tube will have a very short live ...

Any one on the market ?
Thank You
BR

MASTER from Poland can made them! Mail me direct -Best -Bodo

March 16th, 2012, 5:29 pm #5

This is exactly the answer I was expecting for and reveals the
business man You are.
My sincere congrats to You , I love this thinking "it IS possible"
and do not stop before a new challenge .
E-mail sent.
Thank You and Good Luck .
BR

March 16th, 2012, 6:09 pm #6

Now if a few 100 or so show any interest (not likely), somebody out there just might produce it.

Me, I'd just make it myself, turning the main piece on my UniMat (sm lathe) or just tweaking the kit plastic, then adding a lil' bit of scrap pe or plastic for the side thingie.

And if you think you need a turned metal spike cuz you're going to snap the kit probe off sometime in the near future, just drill and insert a piece of piano wire or paper clip inside. Like some do w/ kit plastic landing gear legs.

I'd rather put the 5-6 bucks towards a kit purchase.

March 16th, 2012, 6:40 pm #7

Any one on the market ?
Thank You
BR

I made 6 of these for my SR-71 family build...

Go to Wal-Mart, sewing section. Look for Dritz sewing needles... They come in a package with several size and types of needles.

I used the largest one, it's for sewing canvas. I cut it with some heavy dikes, used my Dremel to smooth out the cut. The smaller probe is a regular pin, also cut to size.

I used super glue to fix the two together, but I'm sure you could solder it as well...

When I glued it to the SR-71 noses, I just used CA, and they are strong enough that I can hang the whole plane from it...

If you check the Hyperscale Galleries, you can see them all...

I hope that helps..

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we've been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don
Luke: 22:36

March 16th, 2012, 8:13 pm #8

David Rezabek
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
USA

March 16th, 2012, 10:01 pm #9

I made 6 of these for my SR-71 family build...

Go to Wal-Mart, sewing section. Look for Dritz sewing needles... They come in a package with several size and types of needles.

I used the largest one, it's for sewing canvas. I cut it with some heavy dikes, used my Dremel to smooth out the cut. The smaller probe is a regular pin, also cut to size.

I used super glue to fix the two together, but I'm sure you could solder it as well...

When I glued it to the SR-71 noses, I just used CA, and they are strong enough that I can hang the whole plane from it...

If you check the Hyperscale Galleries, you can see them all...

I hope that helps..

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we've been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don
Myself i've always been squeamish about working with stainless. Nice to see you made it work.

david