WIP of Hasegawa 1/48 F-4J to an early F-4B (again). Pt II

WIP of Hasegawa 1/48 F-4J to an early F-4B (again). Pt II

June 18th, 2012, 2:20 pm #1

I got a little bit more done on it. At this point I added the resin nose.I had taken it off of the first B conversion that I had done, and I was worried that it might not fit as well on this one due to it was sanded to fit on the first attempt. But no problems there. I glued it on with 5 min epoxy which gave me plenty of time to move it around and fit it.

At this point I also glued on the wing. To ensure a nice fit at the fwd section I glued in some shims on the intakes, and one in the middle. This not only eliminated having a step, but also gave positive glueing points on the intakes

I have not been able to build one of these Phantoms without breaking off the pitot tubes. So for this one I just went ahead and cut the damn things off and turned some nice metal ones out of some brads. I think these will look more realistic any way. I will glue them on permanently right before I prime it.

I now went back to the the pits to add last minute detail and additions prior to glueing on the windscreen and center canopy section. One thing I dont like about the Aires resin pit is that the do not offer sections to mount the PDU or HUD glass on. So I modded the ones off of the Eduard PE set to fit and used them. It came out ok.

Then I went to the aft pit. I wanted to do a little more back there and while going through my reference book this caught my eye. The RIO single eject select T-handel.

and now the seats which were already done for the last one. I like a more beefy looking harnesses, and the ones on the quickboost seats are kinda stringy looking, but wht the Hell... They are already done so I am going with them. The overhead ejection handles will be added after I glue the seats in to avoid fat fingers

Thanks for looking
Brandon

June 18th, 2012, 3:59 pm #2

the rest`s good so far too !

June 18th, 2012, 4:54 pm #3

I got a little bit more done on it. At this point I added the resin nose.I had taken it off of the first B conversion that I had done, and I was worried that it might not fit as well on this one due to it was sanded to fit on the first attempt. But no problems there. I glued it on with 5 min epoxy which gave me plenty of time to move it around and fit it.

At this point I also glued on the wing. To ensure a nice fit at the fwd section I glued in some shims on the intakes, and one in the middle. This not only eliminated having a step, but also gave positive glueing points on the intakes

I have not been able to build one of these Phantoms without breaking off the pitot tubes. So for this one I just went ahead and cut the damn things off and turned some nice metal ones out of some brads. I think these will look more realistic any way. I will glue them on permanently right before I prime it.

I now went back to the the pits to add last minute detail and additions prior to glueing on the windscreen and center canopy section. One thing I dont like about the Aires resin pit is that the do not offer sections to mount the PDU or HUD glass on. So I modded the ones off of the Eduard PE set to fit and used them. It came out ok.

Then I went to the aft pit. I wanted to do a little more back there and while going through my reference book this caught my eye. The RIO single eject select T-handel.

and now the seats which were already done for the last one. I like a more beefy looking harnesses, and the ones on the quickboost seats are kinda stringy looking, but wht the Hell... They are already done so I am going with them. The overhead ejection handles will be added after I glue the seats in to avoid fat fingers

Thanks for looking
Brandon

You have probably thought of it but if I may make a suggestion since I've built F-4's before, cut out the area for the anti collision light on the front of the vert stab and replace it with a piece of clear red sprue.

June 18th, 2012, 5:02 pm #4

as well, but I kinda wish I had made the cuts prior to joining the fuselage/stab halves together. It does make for a more realistic look tho, and I may still do it. Thanks for the comments.

Brandon

June 18th, 2012, 5:45 pm #5

Thanks for looking
Brandon

I like your work it looks great and I envy you working in the bigger scale!. I want to do a 1/144 F-4B/N But I think I will have to scratch it since I dont think the beast exists!

Yours is coming along very nicely & I cant way to see it finished!! What scheme??

Steve,

June 18th, 2012, 5:59 pm #6

Of course it will be done up as that beast to go along with my Jolly Rogers lineage build. It will be #6 for that theme, But I am going to put gear doors on mine! (: I will display it with this print that I have in my home office.

Brandon

Last edited by Bravosierra001 on June 18th, 2012, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 18th, 2012, 7:48 pm #7

Thanks for looking
Brandon

June 18th, 2012, 9:26 pm #8

Thanks for looking
Brandon

Love the instrument detail

David's Model Pages

David's Model Pages on Facebook -https://www.facebook.com/modelscale

June 18th, 2012, 11:21 pm #9

Thanks for looking
Brandon

And on my phavorite plane too!

I can't wait to see her phinished!

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we've been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don
Luke: 22:36

June 18th, 2012, 11:49 pm #10

Thanks for looking
Brandon

Hi Brandon,

Really nice work overall and especially the cockpits. Nice to see the Command Selector Valve added, but I think you have gotten it rather too low. It should be pretty high up, at least on the RF-4C's I am familiar with. Your reference picture would seem to agree as well.

HTH, Jim