WIP 1/48 P-47D - still early days...

WIP 1/48 P-47D - still early days...

August 6th, 2012, 9:28 pm #1

Normally I wouldn't post photos of a model this early in construction, but it's been quite a while since I've had (1)a functioning camera, (2) a dedicated, semi-clean work area suitable for taking pictures, (3) the desire to work on a model and photograph it, and (4) possessed all of the previous 3 at the same time.

Kit is, of course, the Tamiya P-47, I'm using the P-47M boxing, but it will be built as a late D-30. Tamiya's M kit contains all the necessary parts to build pretty much any Bubbletop D variant.

Still a little bit of work to do in the cockpit, some detail painting on the sidewalls, a few more instrument decals and placards, a couple more layers of weathering, but it's shaping up nicely, I think. This will be a testbed for a new NMF technique that I want to use when I build my Tamiya 1/32 P-51D, and I felt I needed to test it out first to make sure I had the hang of it. Will be pretty much OOtB with some seatbelts, most likely Eduard, but possibly HGW.

August 7th, 2012, 3:30 am #2

The floor indicates the pilot uses a lotta right rudder for whatever reason, but the rudder pedals themselves show more wear on the left. Hhmmmmm.....?

It's only a hobby..it's only a hobby..it's -

August 7th, 2012, 4:33 am #3

You would use right rudder a lot more especially to counteract torque on takeoff etc. My 93 year old dad who flew P-40's and P-47's (WW II) and P-51's (Korea) still jokes about how his right leg is stronger than his left because he was always standing on the right rudder ! When I take him flying (Beech V-35 B) he makes sure I don't get lazy on my rudder pedals either !

Chris K.

August 7th, 2012, 8:10 am #4

The floor indicates the pilot uses a lotta right rudder for whatever reason, but the rudder pedals themselves show more wear on the left. Hhmmmmm.....?

...the right pedal could use a little more. That's just the first layer on the pedals anyway, the floor is done. They'll get toned down by a couple layers of washes, then I'll re-chip with a brighter silver to show fresher wear. I just worked off of photos and the right side floor was scratched more than the left, but the pedals seem pretty evenly worn. Still early days on this one.

August 7th, 2012, 2:17 pm #5

Keep those WIP pics comin' and we promise to keep our mouth shut. Ya dun gud.