Wingnut Wings FE.2b Early progress

Wingnut Wings FE.2b Early progress

March 2nd, 2012, 11:38 pm #1

I have completed the internal cockpit assembly and the Beardmore engine. This is another fine Wingnut Wings model. They take the complex and make it simple, which is good for me.

Woodgrain effect done by a base of Tamiya Desert Yellow, and a mix of burnt umber and raw sienna oils, mostly removed with a brush leaving 'grain' marks behind. This was covered in Tamiya clear orange, then Future before being matted.

I used Tamiya and Gunze acrylics along with Model Master aluminum. The internal bracing was done with EZ Line.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Michael D

Http://web.mac.com/Eindecker/
Last edited by mayonardo on March 3rd, 2012, 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 3rd, 2012, 12:36 am #2

wow...that's a project...your going to be there a while

March 3rd, 2012, 12:54 am #3

I have completed the internal cockpit assembly and the Beardmore engine. This is another fine Wingnut Wings model. They take the complex and make it simple, which is good for me.

Woodgrain effect done by a base of Tamiya Desert Yellow, and a mix of burnt umber and raw sienna oils, mostly removed with a brush leaving 'grain' marks behind. This was covered in Tamiya clear orange, then Future before being matted.

I used Tamiya and Gunze acrylics along with Model Master aluminum. The internal bracing was done with EZ Line.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Michael D

Even the black on the radiator looks convincing. Petrol and oil stains on the engine, the woodgraining, all looks very well done.

Cheers
Mike

"You cannot believe every quote you read on the internet". - Abraham Lincoln

March 3rd, 2012, 1:58 am #4

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Michael D

I want to drop whatever I'm working on and start one of the Wingnut kits sitting in my closet. Thanks for the inspiration! Excellent work!

Jeff

March 3rd, 2012, 2:58 am #5

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Michael D

That's the thing about these 1:32 scale kits, they require a committment to spend more time on the details that we'd normally do in smaller scales. Wingnut Wings removes most of the fiddly and repetitious bits with their fine casting and engineering. Still, this one, like all early aircraft, and especially pushers, has a lot of "parts" and much rigging to deal with.

I spent time tonight looking at the diagram for the control wires. Many, long and complex. And, that's after the standing rigging that offers structural support. In Brett's new MIM mag, there is a build of this aircraft by Dave Johnson or Wingnut Wings. He shows how they planned and engineered the plastic to provide structural support for the tail boom by rigging with monofilament, and how they made this much easier. If you are going to build this model, check that out. Or send me an email for a description of that process.

Good company of modelers there.

Michael D

March 3rd, 2012, 4:48 am #6

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Michael D

Lots of rigging! I'm pretty sure even though I used EZ-Line for the rigging / control cables I've got nearly as much time in rigging as building. If you plan on buckles etc...

Fit is perfect, no sweat there.

D

--
David Wrinkle -
"It's just the sort of bloody silly name they would choose!" -RJ Mitchell

March 3rd, 2012, 12:37 pm #7

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Michael D

That should look very nice when finished.

March 3rd, 2012, 1:06 pm #8

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Michael D

Hey Mike,

That looks just great...and I agree with what you said about 1/32 kits and WnW kits in particular. I have always built in 1/48 and 1/72 and have found that 1/32 requires a whole different level of patience and commitment. Not a bad thing at all.

My wife gave me the late model Fe-2 and the early Rumpler for Christmas (what a gal!). I am finding it fun to simply examine the kits and plan an "attack". Won't start on them until I finish some other projects.

Keep us posted with your progress. This one looks really fine.

Andy

March 3rd, 2012, 1:35 pm #9

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Michael D

Looking great so far. Keep pushing!

Q

http://dqscaleworks.blogspot.com/

March 3rd, 2012, 4:16 pm #10

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Michael D

Wowzers Michael,

Mighty fine work there my friend. And brilliant photography too. Or, perhaps it just looks better on a Mac (Ha!). Looking forward to seeing your progress on this "Kite".

Marty Sanford