Wingnut 1/32 FE.2b Late - Nacelle, Rigging and Wing alignment

Wingnut 1/32 FE.2b Late - Nacelle, Rigging and Wing alignment

May 15th, 2012, 5:08 pm #1

Dear friends,

here are some WIP-pics from my fee. The first part of of my WIP can be found here:http://www.network54.com/Forum/47751/me ... and+Engine .
Closing the cockpit went straight ahead. I choosed different basic colours due to the various materials that had been used for constructing the nacelle.

PC 10 was mixed using tamiya colours and was sanded down in some heavy used areas. The colour was weathered using oil paints and a graphite pen on the engine area.

For preshading the wings and imitating the effect of cockards shining through the linnen, I used the method described by Dave Johnson on Millitary Illustrated Modeller (issue 11).

PC 10 was again mixed in different shade using tamiya colours and was sanded down with micro mesh 10000 to highlight the details.

The preparation for the rigging was the most time consuming thing. I used self made turnbuckles, made by 0.15mm wire and 0.6 x0.4mm Albion brass tube. At least you need at about 100 buckles for the wings and the nacelle...

Later on I made good experience with constructing the buckles and painting them before glueing them into place.

I used elastic threat (Goldzack) for the rigging and glued it into the upper wings turnbuckles. In comparison to the RB-Production RAF-Wire I had the impression that the dimensions are quite the same.

After gluing the bottom wings to the nacelle, I made a template for fixing the first four pairs of struts.

Next thing was to fix the center nacelle struts, using the same template. After the struts had been fixed on the bottom wing, i turned the nacelle and the bottom wing with the struts upside down and laid them on the upper wing. The last step was to fix the outer struts.

Rigging the struts was far less time consuming and last only 2 hours.

So thats for today, I hope you enjoyed the pics.

With greetings from Germany,

Dirk

May 15th, 2012, 5:47 pm #2

Some of the best Rigging pictures I have seen. Well Done and fantastic job so far!!!!!

May 15th, 2012, 6:03 pm #3

Dear friends,

here are some WIP-pics from my fee. The first part of of my WIP can be found here:http://www.network54.com/Forum/47751/me ... and+Engine .
Closing the cockpit went straight ahead. I choosed different basic colours due to the various materials that had been used for constructing the nacelle.

PC 10 was mixed using tamiya colours and was sanded down in some heavy used areas. The colour was weathered using oil paints and a graphite pen on the engine area.

For preshading the wings and imitating the effect of cockards shining through the linnen, I used the method described by Dave Johnson on Millitary Illustrated Modeller (issue 11).

PC 10 was again mixed in different shade using tamiya colours and was sanded down with micro mesh 10000 to highlight the details.

The preparation for the rigging was the most time consuming thing. I used self made turnbuckles, made by 0.15mm wire and 0.6 x0.4mm Albion brass tube. At least you need at about 100 buckles for the wings and the nacelle...

Later on I made good experience with constructing the buckles and painting them before glueing them into place.

I used elastic threat (Goldzack) for the rigging and glued it into the upper wings turnbuckles. In comparison to the RB-Production RAF-Wire I had the impression that the dimensions are quite the same.

After gluing the bottom wings to the nacelle, I made a template for fixing the first four pairs of struts.

Next thing was to fix the center nacelle struts, using the same template. After the struts had been fixed on the bottom wing, i turned the nacelle and the bottom wing with the struts upside down and laid them on the upper wing. The last step was to fix the outer struts.

Dirk

r

May 15th, 2012, 8:09 pm #4

Dear friends,

Dirk

Simply stunning

May 15th, 2012, 8:46 pm #5

Dear friends,

Dirk

awesome!

May 15th, 2012, 9:24 pm #6

Dear friends,

Dirk

Fascinating indeed.

Serge Dompierre
Frog and Canuck and proud to be

May 15th, 2012, 9:34 pm #7

Dear friends,

Dirk

Very nice work but be careful with some of the turnbuckles. They do not align with the wire angle direction that they connect to.

Cheers,
Corto

May 15th, 2012, 11:40 pm #8

Dear friends,

Dirk

Masterful work and details. Well done Dirk!
Gary
Last edited by garyneedham on May 15th, 2012, 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 16th, 2012, 5:46 am #9

Very nice work but be careful with some of the turnbuckles. They do not align with the wire angle direction that they connect to.

Cheers,
Corto
Thanks a lot for your useful hints, Corto. I checked and corrected a few turnbuckles, especially on the upper wings.

Dirk

May 16th, 2012, 11:14 am #10

Dear friends,

Dirk

Your PC-10 looks very good to my eye.