William...this one's for you...

William...this one's for you...

January 16th, 2012, 7:18 am #1

All,

I've been playing around with making an Fe-2b from scratch and vacforming it...and learning a lot in the process. You can see, for example, the odd wing airfoil (ha, ha) and the odd rib "detail". The next one will be better! But, since this forum is still here and it's 1/72nd...

I painted on the wing roundels after painting the basic top and bottom colors for the wings, tails and nacelle. These will be modulated a bit on the next step.

I tried using old Aifix decals from an Re-8 on the nacelle...kind of stinky, though...

The control surfaces have been separated and all strut and rigging holes are ready to go. I also added the correct dihedral in the top wing. I'll do some more weathering/painting, install the engine and then I have to think about how to make 16 million struts.

Wish me luck...Cheers and thanks for looking.

Regards,

Dan From Tacoma, Washington USA

January 16th, 2012, 6:14 pm #2

Looks like it's moving along very nicely, Dan. Hope to get snowed
in today and get some modeling done.

Kevin in Brown's Point,Washington

January 16th, 2012, 6:50 pm #3

Hi Kevin,

I sure wouldn't want to drive along some of those steep hills by Browns Pt. I live off of Hoyt and the cars are moving S-L-O-W-L-Y.

Definitely a modeling day.

Thanks for looking. I'll at least do some more painting today. See how far I'll get!

January 16th, 2012, 9:52 pm #4

All,

I've been playing around with making an Fe-2b from scratch and vacforming it...and learning a lot in the process. You can see, for example, the odd wing airfoil (ha, ha) and the odd rib "detail". The next one will be better! But, since this forum is still here and it's 1/72nd...

I painted on the wing roundels after painting the basic top and bottom colors for the wings, tails and nacelle. These will be modulated a bit on the next step.

I tried using old Aifix decals from an Re-8 on the nacelle...kind of stinky, though...

The control surfaces have been separated and all strut and rigging holes are ready to go. I also added the correct dihedral in the top wing. I'll do some more weathering/painting, install the engine and then I have to think about how to make 16 million struts.

Regards,

That's very impressive work !

Still !

It looks so good, I would say typical Fe-2b - and that is quite something coming from nada - I think the small fuselage would be the most difficult thing on this build, with that strange shape... so I don't think 16 million struts would be a challenge for you... unless maybe NOT falling asleep over it as it can get a bit boring

Thanks for posting here Dan, so I don't have to walk/click so far away to strange shores

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / previous builds on HS : Plastic Stories

1/72 - Airfix, Hasegawa(modern tool) - Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero : Part I - Part II ( incl. Belgian Scale Modellers Convention 2011 show report) Part III/End
1/72 - Hasegawa(old tool) - Mitsubishi A6M2 : Part I
1/72 - AGA - Polikarpov I-3 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

January 17th, 2012, 1:29 am #5

Hi Kevin,

I sure wouldn't want to drive along some of those steep hills by Browns Pt. I live off of Hoyt and the cars are moving S-L-O-W-L-Y.

Definitely a modeling day.

Thanks for looking. I'll at least do some more painting today. See how far I'll get!
Hi Dan,
My wife and I walked up to the QFC in the snow this morning. It was a bit
slick but good to get out in the fresh air. Hope it dumps on us tonight.

Take care, Kevin

January 17th, 2012, 2:53 am #6

All,

Regards,

This is real work....Wow! n/t

January 17th, 2012, 10:57 am #7

Hi Dan,

Take care, Kevin
Hey guys - what are talking about? It's summer... n/t

January 17th, 2012, 5:52 pm #8

Hi Dan,

Take care, Kevin
We walk there too all the time. I do think we shall have to meet at some point. All of these crazy electronic world-wide model people and we might practically be neighbors.

Sounds like we are going to get nailed tonight into Wednesday. Candle light and plastic.

Your Kittyhawk looks great, buy the way over at AFGB.

Maybe see you sliding around...

January 18th, 2012, 4:39 pm #9

All,

Regards,

That is very impressive! makes me want to get going on an ambitious scratch build of my own.