William and Claus deKoster,

William and Claus deKoster,

February 7th, 2012, 8:35 pm #1

You want to try something that's fun and revealing for a mini group build, try what I and 2 of my friends did some years ago. We chose an airplane that was available in 72ns, 48th, and 32nd scales, and each did the model in his favorite scale. We didn't communicate about the kits while the build was in progress, so that when they were done was the first time we saw each other's efforts. The most interesting part, was how each of us saw the same airplane, and the different methods we used to arrive at the finished item.

February 8th, 2012, 3:58 am #2

That's a neat idea!

Did you build the exact same plane, like building Priller's D-Day 190A-5, or was it more like just any 190A-?'s but different markings or even different production blocks?

Hal Marshman Sr
Hal Marshman Sr

February 8th, 2012, 2:52 pm #3

yeah, same bird/markings/pilot, etc. It was IIRC a JG-300 FW-190A-8, but I can't remember if it was "Kolle Aulaff" or "Raubatz", nor the pilot's name I remember the red band and black wingtips. This was a lot of years back. Hal Srt

February 8th, 2012, 9:42 pm #4

I like this, though I would also like to be able to communicate during the build, then you can pick up things from each other, discuss problem areas and possible solutions and talk about small details which you will have forgotten after the build

On the other hand - the no talk during the build has a bigger surprise factor at the end

I enjoyed the duo build with Claus a lot, it was fun, and I'm already gearing up for the Hurricane build on the Airfix forum

I think more people like this and I think more one kit GBs will emerge, maybe one day a one kit single markings GB will follow

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / previous builds on HS : Plastic Stories

1/72 - AZ Model - Kawasaki Ki-78 : Part I - Part II/End
1/72 - AGA - Polikarpov I-3 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V�- Part VI /End

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

February 9th, 2012, 9:43 pm #5

You want to try something that's fun and revealing for a mini group build, try what I and 2 of my friends did some years ago. We chose an airplane that was available in 72ns, 48th, and 32nd scales, and each did the model in his favorite scale. We didn't communicate about the kits while the build was in progress, so that when they were done was the first time we saw each other's efforts. The most interesting part, was how each of us saw the same airplane, and the different methods we used to arrive at the finished item.
...and I sure wouldn't mind participating in such a mini GB (as long as I get to do the 1/72 version!). But I must admit that I find the idea of building exactly the same kit more fascinating. Diffenrent people have different approaches to the same kit.

So for that reason I'm really looking forward to the GB on the Airfix Hurricane I - just have a Ki-78 to finish first!