Wildcat question, NOT the Lex!

March 13th, 2018, 7:09 am #1

Gentlemen,

What is the difference between the armament of the FM-2 and the F4F-4? Obviously the outer gun is deleted in the FM-2, but are the two inner guns the same? I have the In Action book and Kinzey's In Detail, but the differences are not clear. The gun hatches and ejection ports seem the same, yet one gun sticks out further. Are they mounted differently inside or does the FM-2 have a slightly longer barrel?

Thanks!

Chris

Guns are most likely staggered

March 13th, 2018, 11:37 pm #2

With one of them sitting farther forward than the one next to it, causing its barrel to stick out. This is so the ammo feed chutes can be set beside one another instead of on top of each other, and is typical for many gun bays.
Last edited by slowhandshodges on March 13th, 2018, 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kind of what I figured

March 14th, 2018, 1:17 am #3

The thing is, the lousy three views I have make it look like the access hatches and ejection ports are the same between the F4F-4 and the FM-2. Would that not change them if the gun was mounted differently?

Thanks!

Chris

Inner guns mounting is exactly the same...

March 14th, 2018, 10:26 am #4

Gentlemen,

What is the difference between the armament of the FM-2 and the F4F-4? Obviously the outer gun is deleted in the FM-2, but are the two inner guns the same? I have the In Action book and Kinzey's In Detail, but the differences are not clear. The gun hatches and ejection ports seem the same, yet one gun sticks out further. Are they mounted differently inside or does the FM-2 have a slightly longer barrel?

Thanks!

Chris
...as proven by the identical access doors, but the FM-2 carried more ammo for each of these guns. It of course deleted the access doors for the outer gun on the upper wing, and has a much longer loading door under each wing, for each gun’s longer ammo box (and note that this was a single door, not a separate one for each box, as almost universally shown incorrectly on Wildcat kits and drawings).

Not sure what your source is for saying one “sticks out further,” but the ammo boxes were already staggered in the F4F-4’s mountings, so no change here was necessary. You may be seeing a photo of a blast tube (or looking at an incorrect drawing)?

The superb Wildcat drawings here (showing the F4F-3, F4F-4, and FM-2, the latter having the same wing as the FM-1) are IMHO the best ever published by a wide margin, and should help you out:

http://www.geocities.jp/yoyuso/fm2/fm2e-1.html

These are set up so that you can easily save the drawings to your computer, and print to your desired scale (which the site author, Japanese modeler Jumpei Temma, encourages!). Scroll all the way to the end of this 3-page article by the way...it’s amazing...as is the rest of this gentleman’s site.
Last edited by MDriskill on March 14th, 2018, 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks!

March 14th, 2018, 2:29 pm #5

I will check out the information you have provided. It sounds like there are some changes to the access doors etc, so I will need to nail that down. The source for the barrel sticking out past the wing le was Kinzey's Detail and Scale, btw.

Off to work, but thanks!

Chris

4-gun wings

March 14th, 2018, 5:38 pm #6

Don't have the D&S in front of me, but there may be some confusion with the earlier 4-gun wing of the F4F-3, which bore no relation to that of the FM-1.

The dash-3's non-folding wing had quite a different internal structure from the folding wings. The guns were further forward, and one barrel did protrude past the wing leading edge.

Again, Mr. Temma's drawings show all three wing variants in great and accurate detail.
Last edited by MDriskill on March 14th, 2018, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Late reply

March 17th, 2018, 3:14 pm #7

Much appreciated on the links to the drawings! That should pretty much answer the majority of my questions. Thanks and yes, the drawings are very good!

Chris

One more question

March 17th, 2018, 5:57 pm #8

...as proven by the identical access doors, but the FM-2 carried more ammo for each of these guns. It of course deleted the access doors for the outer gun on the upper wing, and has a much longer loading door under each wing, for each gun’s longer ammo box (and note that this was a single door, not a separate one for each box, as almost universally shown incorrectly on Wildcat kits and drawings).

Not sure what your source is for saying one “sticks out further,” but the ammo boxes were already staggered in the F4F-4’s mountings, so no change here was necessary. You may be seeing a photo of a blast tube (or looking at an incorrect drawing)?

The superb Wildcat drawings here (showing the F4F-3, F4F-4, and FM-2, the latter having the same wing as the FM-1) are IMHO the best ever published by a wide margin, and should help you out:

http://www.geocities.jp/yoyuso/fm2/fm2e-1.html

These are set up so that you can easily save the drawings to your computer, and print to your desired scale (which the site author, Japanese modeler Jumpei Temma, encourages!). Scroll all the way to the end of this 3-page article by the way...it’s amazing...as is the rest of this gentleman’s site.
I am looking at perhaps doing an FM-2 using the Tamiya kit and I would like to use some of the Aires superdetail set for the F4F4. It looks like I could use the open gun bays (inner guns only of course) and the wing fold. The longer ammo loading doors won't matter as the Aires set does not have them open anyway. The engine obviously is a non starter and the cockpit is going to need a few changes, such as gun sight, etc.

The drawings are superb and thanks, I have saved them.

Thanks!

Chris