Why don't the USMC use C-17 ? Too big ?? It could be a Fat Albert !! nt

March 27th, 2018, 1:52 pm #1

My guess(es)…

March 28th, 2018, 1:53 pm #2

A. It's not in the USN/USMC Inventory. Having a single aircraft of a particular type (especially one as big as the C-17) can get very expensive

B. The USMC typically has a tighter budget than it's parent USN and the USAF. As I noted over on Plane Talking, that's part of the reason that the USMC held on to the A-4 when the USN went to the A-7. The USMC felt that the A-4 met their requirements and that it was much cheaper to buy and operate than the A-7, so they stuck with the A-4.
Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"The more I deal with people, the more I like my dog."

April 22nd, 2018, 6:07 pm #3

Because the C-130 is cooler than the C-17?
"Ignorance is bliss, but I find learning more interesting." - Me, as far as I know

April 23rd, 2018, 2:01 am #4

What amounts to strategic lift is the Air Force mission. The USMC is geared towards a tactical need. In the event that heavy lift is required the USAF is equipped to do such. The resources necessary to support an aircraft the size and complexity of the C-17 are planned into the AF budget.  As the Corps has the responsibilities for amphibious and land warfare as well as their own air ops to support those it only makes sense to concentrate heavy airlift under the service who is primarily responsible for air operations.
Clifford Bossie

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/jinxx1/Desrt_Wings.html

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/jinxx1/Wildcat/F4F_pt1.html

April 27th, 2018, 4:40 pm #5

jinxx1 wrote: What amounts to strategic lift is the Air Force mission. The USMC is geared towards a tactical need. In the event that heavy lift is required the USAF is equipped to do such. The resources necessary to support an aircraft the size and complexity of the C-17 are planned into the AF budget.  As the Corps has the responsibilities for amphibious and land warfare as well as their own air ops to support those it only makes sense to concentrate heavy airlift under the service who is primarily responsible for air operations.
This.

If the Marines need to move something big, they'll call the AF. This past July a CH-53E on a cross-country broke down at my local airport. It couldn't be repaired locally, so they pulled the rotor, transmission and engines and a week later an AF C-17 showed up to take it home.