Why do decals never cooperate when you need them to.

Why do decals never cooperate when you need them to.

July 10th, 2012, 2:21 am #1

Well guys I was hopping to give you a peek at my latest build, but unfortunatly my decals I put on these models decided to have a mind of there own and not go down right. I used a couple of coats of future on them, then decaled them and them used clear gloss lacquer overcoat and this is my result. I guess I will have to strip the decals off and start over again. I just hope I can get the clear lacquer off of them. I think I;m going to have to wet sand the models with fine sand paper. Here is the disaster I created. Enjoy.

July 10th, 2012, 5:19 pm #2

That stuff can be harsh to some decals and it looks like that's what is causing you greif. If you're looking to seal with a gloss coat try Testors "Metalizer" Sealer or try an acrylic based gloss or flat clear coat. Those decals are reacting to a harsh solevent...try something else and use a "test" subject first.

July 10th, 2012, 11:24 pm #3

Thanks for you advice Andrew, I will definatly take it into consideration.

July 11th, 2012, 4:01 am #4

Well guys I was hopping to give you a peek at my latest build, but unfortunatly my decals I put on these models decided to have a mind of there own and not go down right. I used a couple of coats of future on them, then decaled them and them used clear gloss lacquer overcoat and this is my result. I guess I will have to strip the decals off and start over again. I just hope I can get the clear lacquer off of them. I think I;m going to have to wet sand the models with fine sand paper. Here is the disaster I created. Enjoy.

Seriously. Everytime I am forced to use decals of any size or complexity, I have issues. And the issues are different each time.

I know my little rant doesn't help you directly....but I wanted you to know you are not alone.

July 11th, 2012, 4:11 am #5

That stuff can be harsh to some decals and it looks like that's what is causing you greif. If you're looking to seal with a gloss coat try Testors "Metalizer" Sealer or try an acrylic based gloss or flat clear coat. Those decals are reacting to a harsh solevent...try something else and use a "test" subject first.
Obviously, they didn't look like that before you applied the clearcoat.

The clearcoat looks very spotty and lumpy as well. Like it was not thinned enough. Did this come out of an airbrush or a rattle can?

You gotta use a much less aggressive clearcoat, like Testor's Glosscoat, or something. I seal decals under a coat of Future before applying my final clearcoat, be it matt or satin.

Happy Modelling! Roy
Visit my blog at:
http://barracudacals.blogspot.com

"What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. I think that's why they make straight jackets out of such sturdy material" Roy S.

July 11th, 2012, 7:33 pm #6

Seriously. Everytime I am forced to use decals of any size or complexity, I have issues. And the issues are different each time.

I know my little rant doesn't help you directly....but I wanted you to know you are not alone.
Laying down decals is by far my favorite part of a build. I find it relaxing, even the little stencils all over a modern jet build. I guess it's the knowing I'm almost done with a project.

Don't get me wrong, it can cause stress for sure, like when you have a specific marking that really makes the kit what you want and know that if you screw that one up the whole project is screwed. I had a set of rare decals for a Maine ANG F-101B Voodoo. When it came time to apply the large tail markings I was pretty nervous about jacking it up...cuz if I did, I wasn't going to get another one to buy! I tested the decal set (Micro Set & Micro Sol) on a few other decals from the same sheet and everything seemed to get along. They went down nicely but it definitely had some planning thrown in.
Last edited by AWF8251 on July 11th, 2012, 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 11th, 2012, 9:00 pm #7

Obviously, they didn't look like that before you applied the clearcoat.

The clearcoat looks very spotty and lumpy as well. Like it was not thinned enough. Did this come out of an airbrush or a rattle can?

You gotta use a much less aggressive clearcoat, like Testor's Glosscoat, or something. I seal decals under a coat of Future before applying my final clearcoat, be it matt or satin.

Happy Modelling! Roy
Visit my blog at:
http://barracudacals.blogspot.com

"What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. I think that's why they make straight jackets out of such sturdy material" Roy S.
I actually did use some coats of future first and then apllied the decals. It was fine up to their, then I used model masters clear lacquer coat and this is the result I got. I think I did not have enough gloss on the model from the future I used. If I use the testors claer coat, will it yellow or will I be safe to use it???. Thanks

July 11th, 2012, 9:02 pm #8

Oh yes They can be challenging to your patience believe me.

July 12th, 2012, 1:07 pm #9

Future the model ..... multiple coats if necessary.

Once the decal is free of the backing paper, dip it in future, and lay it in a small puddle of future, on the model.

Allow sufficient time for the future to set, and suck the decals down onto the model detail.

Future again, over the decal, I usually do 2 coats.

Apply final matte /satin coat as desired ( I use Humbrol Matt Cote)

Works every time (so far)!

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mohandas Gandhi

July 13th, 2012, 1:58 am #10

Thanks for the tip Gavin.