Why did the early versions of the F4U 1 to 4 Corsair have fabric wing panels

Why did the early versions of the F4U 1 to 4 Corsair have fabric wing panels

May 14th, 2013, 4:22 am #1

Why was fabric used for some of the outer wing sections of the Corsairs that were used in World War 2? Later versions had all metal wings.

Jim Reagan

May 14th, 2013, 5:25 am #2

nt

May 14th, 2013, 7:50 am #3

Why was fabric used for some of the outer wing sections of the Corsairs that were used in World War 2? Later versions had all metal wings.

Jim Reagan
No need to use aluminum when fabric would do the job at a fraction of the machining cost and the aluminum could be used elsewhere.

I believe in god and the only thing that scares me,,,,,,is Keyser Soze.

May 14th, 2013, 9:44 am #4

Jim Reagan
"That's the way we've always done it!"

Remember that when the Corsair was designed, Vought was still building biplanes. [Edit: or were they? I didn't think about the Vindicator...] Look at North American- they built this state-of-the-art fighter prototype (NA-73) and designed a complicated, vision-blocking cockpit enclosure for it. Come to think of it, Vought did that too!

Perhaps (only perhaps) the wings were skinned (with metal, I mean) when there was a real benefit in doing so, either to reduce drag or to improve strength (as speed and weight were going up) or both. And what about rockets on F4U-4s (etc)- did they have to do something different, or was it not an issue?

bob
Last edited by gingerbob on May 15th, 2013, 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Ignorance is bliss, but I find learning more interesting." - Me, as far as I know

May 14th, 2013, 11:30 am #5

You broke the code.

Look at all the Vought designs from about the same time frame - Corsair, SB2U, OS2U

Look at the vertical tails of DH designs.

Look at the vertical tails of the P-40, SB2C, C-46.

Joe

Average Modeler and Builder of legacy kits Beyond the Pale. Proud builder of 3' "shelf" models for over half a century; 4' for Spits.

May 14th, 2013, 11:30 am #6

Jim Reagan
nt

May 14th, 2013, 12:07 pm #7

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

Ive realized that most people ... tend not to be direct when they feel something is shoddy because they want to be liked, "which is actually a vain trait".
[Walter Isaacson's (author of Steve Jobs) recounting of his interview with Jony Ive, Chief Designer at Apple @ page p. 461]

BUY THIS BOOK
http://tinyurl.com/Ididntseeitcoming

May 14th, 2013, 12:25 pm #8

You broke the code.

Look at all the Vought designs from about the same time frame - Corsair, SB2U, OS2U

Look at the vertical tails of DH designs.

Look at the vertical tails of the P-40, SB2C, C-46.

Joe

Average Modeler and Builder of legacy kits Beyond the Pale. Proud builder of 3' "shelf" models for over half a century; 4' for Spits.
If you will notice, many AC manufacturers used a similar vertical fin design through their different model aircraft designs prior to and through WWII. Vought, Curtiss, Lockheed, DH, Douglas. The vertical fin became a sort of trade mark of their company. After WWII not so much.

A pipe give a wise man time to think,
and a fool something to stick in his mouth.

May 14th, 2013, 1:41 pm #9

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

Ive realized that most people ... tend not to be direct when they feel something is shoddy because they want to be liked, "which is actually a vain trait".
[Walter Isaacson's (author of Steve Jobs) recounting of his interview with Jony Ive, Chief Designer at Apple @ page p. 461]

BUY THIS BOOK
http://tinyurl.com/Ididntseeitcoming
And Hurricane metal wings were lighter than the fabric type, with a saving of 60lbs. N/T.

May 14th, 2013, 1:43 pm #10

n/t