Why are we so different? Car modelers love rubber tires, airplane modelers hate them ...

Why are we so different? Car modelers love rubber tires, airplane modelers hate them ...

May 29th, 2012, 12:44 am #1

Why are we so damn different?

May 29th, 2012, 2:00 am #2

Airplane / Armor Modelers often weather the subject, including tires and wheels, and paint simply doesn't stick too well to rubber / vinyl. I tend to like my car models pristine and shiny.

In years past, some rubber/vinyl tires (particularly in the AMT Tigercat kits) dissolved the hubs on the aircraft, some chemical reaction.

Tires on aircraft tend to be small and/or thin (take the wheels on a bomber, or a Boeing 777, for example, not to mention 1/48 and 1/72 scale fighters) it makes them hard to manipulate, and more likely to split open. It's just easier to paint them if they're well defined.

In the case of Armor kits, there are often so many wheels that I should imagine it's cost prohibitive.

Any other ideas out there?

May 29th, 2012, 2:20 am #3

much like us airplane guys like to fly our kits around the room making dakka-dakka noises,
car modellers like to swerve theirs around the table top making tire squealy burn-out noises

May 29th, 2012, 3:11 am #4

1..Cast usually in a really black material. Real tires are not black, particularly when used some.

2..I've yet to see vinyl or rubber tires flattened on the bottom.

3..In many cases, the chemical reaction between the tires and the airplane's plastic wheels has proved damaging to the plastic over time.

May 29th, 2012, 3:14 am #5

I build both and the only aircraft with rubber tires is my Trump Wildcat.No chemical reaction issues 5 years on so it must be ok.I have 30 year old car models with great tires with no issues whatsoever.

May 29th, 2012, 3:23 am #6

much like us airplane guys like to fly our kits around the room making dakka-dakka noises,
car modellers like to swerve theirs around the table top making tire squealy burn-out noises
That was good!!

Oh BTW car tires are made of a harder plastic.

California Steve

May 29th, 2012, 4:08 am #7

I like to have rubber on my models because I hate the preflattened ones because too often I have seen them not on the bottom where they should be after the model is finished, and then they are too much or too little due to the weight of bombs or missiles or none.

May 29th, 2012, 4:50 am #8

1..Cast usually in a really black material. Real tires are not black, particularly when used some.

2..I've yet to see vinyl or rubber tires flattened on the bottom.

3..In many cases, the chemical reaction between the tires and the airplane's plastic wheels has proved damaging to the plastic over time.
"3..In many cases, the chemical reaction between the tires and the airplane's plastic wheels has proved damaging to the plastic over time."

I wouldn't say many I can only remember two aircraft kits for sure and a few I can't recall exactly that had plastic attacking vinyl tires. I seem to remember hearing about more car kits with the problem and the odd armour kit. Yes, I'm sure there were more than I know of but I wouldn't say many. Also this is ancient history for the most part, the latest kit I remember having this problem was the UM 1/72 T-34's(no personal experience), the rest were 20+ years ago.
Besides it's easily overcome other than having the kit part damaged due to loose packaging(always seemed to be the clear parts that got hit!).

May 29th, 2012, 4:56 am #9

problems w/ 'rubber' tires splitting in the early heydays, the 1980s, of resin/metal 43rd kits. When the scale really took off. Still inc'd w/ many modern 43rd kits, less problems, but too some kitmakers have switched to resin (usually molded in blk) tires. More stable.

I can also recall when AMT and MPC (?) molded 24th drag racing slicks in white styrene in the 60s or early 70s. You'd paint 'em flat blk and scrape/sand the paint from the raised GoodYear or Firestone lettering. Easier, and cleaner looking, than painting flat white w/ a 0000 brush.

Nowadays some like Hiro and Studio 27, w/ their very $$$ 20/24th car kits, are using silicone/new 'rubber' blends that are much less likely to split or melt w/ time. Well done 'rubber' kit tires do look good I'll have to admit.

But I'd be happy w/ plastic or resin tires inc'd in all my kits, cars or a/c.

May 29th, 2012, 5:00 am #10

For me it's a matter of scale, I like the look of OOB rubber tires on 1/12 motorcycle kits or 1/24 cars, probably wouldn't mind them on aircraft of the same scale. I hate them on armour no matter the scale because I often like to take chunks out of the tires on them and it's much easier to do with styrene. Along the same lines changing or modifying tread patterns is harder as well with vinyl.
It's not so hard to weather them with paint and you can put flat spots on them though it is hard to bulge them although I'm not a fan of overly bulged tires anyway unless I'm trying to represent a photo I've seen.

The attacking plastic thing is old news, can only think of one kit that had this problem any time recently and so far mine is fine with a layer of paint and primer between them and the plastic hub. It was also only a big problem if they are packaged loose in the box and end up damaging other parts.