Why Airfix you guys??

Why Airfix you guys??

April 18th, 2012, 9:10 pm #1

I very seldom do this. Before I get going, I want to thank all of you who offered me their support and comfort over the sudden death of my Mom. She is sorely missed and it is still a difficult time, but I'm trying to move on. My warmest regards and wishes to all of you.

Now............I just looked at an absolutelu beautiful piece of work in the main page of a Canadaoir Sabre F4 by Andy Browen. Earlier this week, I had the privilege of equally astounding wotk on some Airfix Me-109G's by Paul Mortimer on an April 11 post.

My question, ( and I'm sure I'll take flak from some of you brothers in plastic ), is why on earth would anyone apply such talent to something that in my opinion, just doesn't measure up. Seriously.......those 109's look like diecast toys.
Now, anyone who knows me, will attest to the fact that I'm not confrontational. Indeed, I firmly believe that one's model, no matter how good, is their personal masterpiece. Rest assured, this query and suvbsequent ramble is not an attack on the work of anyone, for I appreciate each and every model I see that's done by someone else.

I just need to get others opinions on what the attraction is to a model kit that doesn't measure up to what everyone seemingly cries out for........that being FINELY recessed panel lines, DELICATE detail, and accurate.
Has anyone seen the new 72 scale cockpit in the Mitsubishi Zero from Tamiya ??!!

You lot are some of the most talented model builders I've ever met, and I've been invloved since 1964. I became a professional in our industry in 1982 and have been deeply involved since. Go look in my photo album and you'll see to what extent............

http://public.fotki.com/bendenna/

I feel my questions are justified and really would like to get feedback on things like if it's a challenge that is needed accurizing these kits, or just a sentimental attraction to them since for a great majority of us, they were part of our youth?

No one can dispute what's been done with them by artists like Victor Scheureman or Paul Mortimer and son on, but it just makes me wonder why these guys and others aren't picking up a good Hasegawa, Tamiya, Trumpeter or other kit.

Thanks friends
Ben Jakobsen

April 18th, 2012, 9:18 pm #2

...especially to UK and Commonwealth modelers.

Then there's always the building "models" vs. building "replicas" debate.

I bought exactly one Airfix kit, ever, their recent 1/72nd Bf-110, and I'm sure as soon as Eduard's comes out, I'll get that and the Airfix will stay unbuilt.

I agree with your post and I know exactly what you're getting at, but you're gonna get flamed for this, there's a lot of Airfix fans on here! Hope you have some asbestos underwear!

April 18th, 2012, 9:24 pm #3

The recent 1/48 Bf109E, the Spitfire Mk22 (and Seafire), The Spitfire Mk12, The English Electric Lightnings even the new Lynx Helicopter. Admittedly they do have some old stuff in the catalogue that I would'nt touch but some guys like the challenge and have pulled off some superb builds.
I think I know what you mean Ben but you are going to get some flak

Regards
Andy K

--------------------------------------------
http://andykingsmodelblog.blogspot.co.uk/

April 18th, 2012, 9:25 pm #4

I very seldom do this. Before I get going, I want to thank all of you who offered me their support and comfort over the sudden death of my Mom. She is sorely missed and it is still a difficult time, but I'm trying to move on. My warmest regards and wishes to all of you.

Now............I just looked at an absolutelu beautiful piece of work in the main page of a Canadaoir Sabre F4 by Andy Browen. Earlier this week, I had the privilege of equally astounding wotk on some Airfix Me-109G's by Paul Mortimer on an April 11 post.

My question, ( and I'm sure I'll take flak from some of you brothers in plastic ), is why on earth would anyone apply such talent to something that in my opinion, just doesn't measure up. Seriously.......those 109's look like diecast toys.
Now, anyone who knows me, will attest to the fact that I'm not confrontational. Indeed, I firmly believe that one's model, no matter how good, is their personal masterpiece. Rest assured, this query and suvbsequent ramble is not an attack on the work of anyone, for I appreciate each and every model I see that's done by someone else.

I just need to get others opinions on what the attraction is to a model kit that doesn't measure up to what everyone seemingly cries out for........that being FINELY recessed panel lines, DELICATE detail, and accurate.
Has anyone seen the new 72 scale cockpit in the Mitsubishi Zero from Tamiya ??!!

You lot are some of the most talented model builders I've ever met, and I've been invloved since 1964. I became a professional in our industry in 1982 and have been deeply involved since. Go look in my photo album and you'll see to what extent............

I feel my questions are justified and really would like to get feedback on things like if it's a challenge that is needed accurizing these kits, or just a sentimental attraction to them since for a great majority of us, they were part of our youth?

No one can dispute what's been done with them by artists like Victor Scheureman or Paul Mortimer and son on, but it just makes me wonder why these guys and others aren't picking up a good Hasegawa, Tamiya, Trumpeter or other kit.

Thanks friends
Ben Jakobsen
Seriously, some people revel in the challenge of turning an older kit into a gem. I do it myself, kits I use ingeniuty and elbow grease to improve are the ones I tend to call my favorites and am most proud of. Not to knock them, but just about anybody can turn out a fine model from a shake-and-bake Tamiya kit. I'm much more impressed by a mediocre kit someone has spent the effort to turn into an outstanding model.

April 18th, 2012, 9:39 pm #5

Thanks friends
Ben Jakobsen
even considering the overdone panel lines on some recent releases. These can be filled in (and should be, in 1/72 scale)

I'm not really a pompous ***; I just play one on HyperScale!

Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, Texas
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
CAHS #5646
Carrollton, TX

Proud IPMS-USA Low Number Thumper!

April 18th, 2012, 9:39 pm #6

Seriously, some people revel in the challenge of turning an older kit into a gem. I do it myself, kits I use ingeniuty and elbow grease to improve are the ones I tend to call my favorites and am most proud of. Not to knock them, but just about anybody can turn out a fine model from a shake-and-bake Tamiya kit. I'm much more impressed by a mediocre kit someone has spent the effort to turn into an outstanding model.
I can mess up a Tamiya kit just as well as a Lindberg!

Mike H
"If a tree fell in the forest, would it sue?"

April 18th, 2012, 9:41 pm #7

The recent 1/48 Bf109E, the Spitfire Mk22 (and Seafire), The Spitfire Mk12, The English Electric Lightnings even the new Lynx Helicopter. Admittedly they do have some old stuff in the catalogue that I would'nt touch but some guys like the challenge and have pulled off some superb builds.
I think I know what you mean Ben but you are going to get some flak

Regards
Andy K

The old Airfix IL-2;

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/inde ... 916059&hl=

No guts no glory!

Regards
Andy K

April 18th, 2012, 9:47 pm #8

Thanks friends
Ben Jakobsen
All sorts of reasons. There's no doubt that it's easier to fly the Atlantic in a Boeing 747-400 than it is a Vickers Vimy, but which provides the bigger challenge? Same thing with Airfix and brands such as Tamiya. ACtually, that's unfair. In a surprising number of cases where Airfix and Tamiya compete directly, Airfix is more accurate.

To keep them up to date, you have to PRACTICE your modelling skills. You're never going to do this if you stick to Tamigawa. You have to start from a lsee-than-perfect kit, and that's where Airfix often come in. Plus, since their kits are still relatively inexpensive, you can use them to practice and develop new tecniques, and it doesn't matter so much if you mess up.

Finally, a lot of recent Airfix kits are very, very, good. Check out, for example, the 1/72 Vickers Valiant, Spitfire I/ Ia/II, Fairey Swordfish and Mitsubishi Zero. And reflect on the fact that altough the Tamiya 1/72 Zero is better, it costs, in the UK, almost three times as much. And it's not almost three times better.

Cheers,

Chris.

April 18th, 2012, 9:51 pm #9

......seems to be a developing opinion here regarding the cost of an Airfix kit versus the biggies, as well as the probability of messing it up for a low cost.

I wasn't aware that Airfix was considered more accurate than the others though.....I'll follow that line of thought.

All the best
Ben

April 18th, 2012, 9:55 pm #10

Thanks friends
Ben Jakobsen
in 1/48 scale, the Spitfire Mk.XII, Seafire XVII, Seafire 46/47 and Spitfire 22/24.
And....the EE Lightnings F1 and F6, Canberras, and Sea Vixen.
My friends have built in 1/72 scale, 109's 110's, Spitfires, P-40, Zero, Harrier, Valiant and Swordfish and they look superb.
We also now have a pair of Lynx helicopters in 1/48.
And...... of course the splendid 1/24 Mosquito.
And a lot of these models are unique to Airfix.
But we all also build all the other Airfix kits just for the fun and to be part of the Airfix Group Builders!
Check out the models on the Airfix Kits Group Build forum and see what you think!
Here are a couple of mine.

Last edited by Roger617 on April 18th, 2012, 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.