Who produces the most realistic figures in 1:48 for an airfield diorama?

Who produces the most realistic figures in 1:48 for an airfield diorama?

34Drive
34Drive

January 31st, 2010, 2:32 am #1

I will be doing extensive converting with the figures, so nationality doesn't matter.

February 4th, 2010, 4:41 pm #2

G'day Mate,

ICM made some nice sets of both pilots and mechanics in 1/48 scale. I think they had a set of Americans, British, and Russians. They should still be find-able. Preiser made at least one very nice set of Germans, again both pilots and blackmen. All these in plastic and pretty affordable, all nicely done. There are a number of resin sets out there as well. Personally, I do not care for the proportions on some of the ones made by CMK or Gaso-line. Naturally the resin sets tend to have fewer figures and cost more. Verlinden also made figures in this scale in resin. Hasegawa did some plastic figure sets as well, mostly for modern era U.S., but the groundcrew figures may be generic enough to use.

Your best bet if you have not already done so, is to do a Google search on 1/48 scale figures and start looking. You should be able to find many sets in both plastic and resin with pictures to help you choose. The last time I looked, Great Models on line had quite a number of 1/48 scale figures, so I would also search on their site and at Hannants. I would also pay close attention to other Preiser figure sets. While they are in plastic, they are a bit more expensive but you may find some generic sets that will work for groundcrew, and I like the Preiser figures a great deal.

Well, that's a start!

Cheers, Jim

34Drive
34Drive

February 5th, 2010, 4:37 am #3

nt

February 9th, 2010, 7:31 pm #4

I will be doing extensive converting with the figures, so nationality doesn't matter.
Hi I am doing an airfield dio as well ,I searched all over for figs and found close to 80 available all over. Prieser good but soft on detail,ICM better and good detail , jaguar very good , gasoline good detail , dartmoor(metal) very good , Reheat very good , CMK ok-good depending on the kit , Eduard very good , Copper State very good , Tarmac very good , Teknics excellent (expensive- B-17 ground crew on ebay sold for $85 us) , and of course verlinden excellent , Tamiya kits would prolly be best for conversions as they are in good poses and detailed.I have 50 in primary colors for my airfield dio, along with a B-17 , SD lysander ,Scammel tractor , Matador refueller , staff car , f/m jeep
and naafi wagon!I would like to end up with around 70 figs but was unaware of the search and availability of 1/48 figs.As for the dimensions of some of the figs ,we are not all the same hieght and all mine grouped together look great all diff !Monogram bomber models all have the same figs but each kit has its own special fig ,well worth using.Iwas trying to put up pix but pbucket not werking...Please email me at coolneon@shaw.ca for pix of all my figs.

Thank you Krow113

February 11th, 2010, 3:42 pm #5

By far the very best in resin are put out by Tarmac in Paris ,France. I have 42 various pilots & ground crew figures from them. Most are multi-part & are keyed for exact placement. The folds in the clothes are very realistic. I have over 500 1/48th scale pilots & ground crew from many makers to make this judgement comparison by.

krow113
krow113

February 11th, 2010, 4:54 pm #6

Hi Any chance you would list some more manufacturers? Thank tou