Who makes these

Who makes these

August 15th, 2007, 7:46 am #1

Or others like it

Mind you, I'm not looking for gundam etc. Having a hard time exactly defining why this one is cool and gundam is not, but I hope you get the drift.

Thomas

August 15th, 2007, 11:16 am #2

Not certain if they are still around.

August 15th, 2007, 1:03 pm #3

Those kits have a long, sordid history. The rights to SF3d (The Japanese game these models were based on) were disputed for years between Hobby Japan magazine and one or two other holders. In the mean time, the kits were out of production while the legal issues were resolved. When the kits were able to be made again, Nitto started production, but then went out of business.

I think someone else has the kits now, although they are somewhat scarce. I sold some Nitto reissue kits on eBay and they generated a lot of interest.

Some additional kits are available in resin from various companies. Some are quite large. There is a big Nutrocker hover tank in scale wiht the 1/20 scale suits (Nittos's tank was 1/72) and also some suits in big scales.

Bandai has some new 1/5 Gundam stuff that is very similar with soldiers, hovertanks, small equipment, etc.

Also, Dust models makes some 1/5 Sci-Fi Germans that are in the same vein.

willie ward
willie ward

August 15th, 2007, 1:04 pm #4

Or others like it

Mind you, I'm not looking for gundam etc. Having a hard time exactly defining why this one is cool and gundam is not, but I hope you get the drift.

Thomas
I look occassionally on ebay. Under models search for Sf3d. That was something to do with series.

Willie

August 15th, 2007, 3:18 pm #5

Or others like it

Thomas
This site caters to sci-fi modelers, used to get stuff for my son from their store. Maybeso you will find something that will catch your eye.

August 15th, 2007, 3:23 pm #6

Or others like it

Thomas
Ebay and HLJ (Hobby Link Japan, a big Jpn web model store) are your best bets. Sometimes a good deal from eBay can be found. Watch out for sellers from the PRC and Thailand, they might be crooks. Might be. Helps to check feedback and # of feedbacks (tho that too can be faked w/ shills) and how long they have been 'good' eBayers. And of course use PayPal! That way at least you have some chance of getting your money back if you get hit.

At HLJ, check Nitto, Wave and some other kit company whose name escapes me. In their 'search' box punch in SF3D and/or MaK. Most are 1/20 kits (plastic and resin), some nice 1/35 ready made 'toys', fewer yet 1/76 kits and some 1/12, 1/6! vinyl suit kits (very expensive for orginals).

Some of the resin and vinyls have been recast, prob w/o permission, and are of questionable quality, but a fraction of the price of originals, assuming you could even find originals for sale. Lots of the SF3D stuff is very limited production. Garage kits or spls only available at sci-fi conventions in Japan. Again that's where eBay comes in.

HLJ does have in stock a few kits and many books on the subject by the originator of the concept, Kow Yokoyama.

Also google Kow or SF3D. Lots of neat stuff on the web. Many SF3D fans around the world.

Yu-Chi Liu
Yu-Chi Liu

August 22nd, 2007, 12:23 pm #7

Or others like it

Thomas
I usually search under the word Nitto.