Who makes and distributes the tan resin

Who makes and distributes the tan resin

April 11th, 2012, 4:01 pm #1

that so many aftermarket detailers use? I have the white stuff from MicroMark and am not overwhelmed with it... TIA, Karl

April 11th, 2012, 4:08 pm #2

They also sell dyes for resin. The regular stuff dries to a khaki shade sort of a greenish tan.

April 11th, 2012, 4:36 pm #3

that so many aftermarket detailers use? I have the white stuff from MicroMark and am not overwhelmed with it... TIA, Karl
Don't know if that is the one you refer too.

April 11th, 2012, 4:43 pm #4

from big containers to pints/qts/etc, is sometimes banana pudding color, sometimes butterscotch.

I also have 15-20 yr old 43rd car kits from Europe cast in red, green and pink resin too! Pita to paint. Prefer the white, tan or light gray stuff.

April 11th, 2012, 5:38 pm #5

Is all private labeled Smooth-On product, I'm not sure which one they have that cures white though.

I have used a bunch of Vagabond XXX Slow that cures to a yellowish beige. I find it great for casting my bases, which are done in large, open faced molds and don't require de-gassing the resin. But as I'm trying to cast smaller, more detailed parts in closed molds, I do have trouble "racing" the resin with it. It kicks in about 4 minutes and that's not all that much time to get the two parts mixed, into the pot, vacuumed, and then into the mold.

I've not heard great things about the Alumalite stuff, but I've also never used it.

Mike

April 11th, 2012, 7:33 pm #6

from big containers to pints/qts/etc, is sometimes banana pudding color, sometimes butterscotch.

I also have 15-20 yr old 43rd car kits from Europe cast in red, green and pink resin too! Pita to paint. Prefer the white, tan or light gray stuff.
Instacast...good stuff.
Builder of clean 3 footers, and the occasional 1 footer...

April 11th, 2012, 7:34 pm #7

Freeman Manufacturing
http://www.freemansupply.com/ReproSlowFastCastU.htm"

They now sell all of the Ciba Geigy/Huntsman urethanes that are used by many of the aftermarket guys. However, they have changed soem ofthe colors, but it's the same stuff.

My, myself, I like BJB TC-854, or Innovative Polymers TP-4004.

Scotty B
Long time resin caster and pattern maker

April 12th, 2012, 3:07 am #8

Instacast...good stuff.
patient staff. Some w/ lots of ink, pink hair and piercings. Old bldg, creaky wood floors, Like the varied clientele too. Young and old, artists, costume makers, geek/nerds, creative types, friendly weirdos, etc. And the occasional homeless person wandering in looking for a buck.

Good prices too and fwy close!

A branch of one of my fav Chinese restaurants, Henry's Hunan, use to be just down the street. Victim of the econ downturn tho. Oh well, at least the other three locations are still kicking.

April 12th, 2012, 2:50 pm #9

the color is not important, it just seems like the stuff used by True Details, CMK, etc are a good quality and tan seems to be the most prevalent. I don't know enough about the subject and am still learning.