Whats a good digital camera for internet posting and portraits of my grandchildren

Whats a good digital camera for internet posting and portraits of my grandchildren

March 24th, 2012, 11:46 pm #1

I need to purchase a new digital camera suitable for posting items I am selling. My old camera is a 3.5 mega pixel.

I also need one with the picture quality to take photos of our grandchildren.
Back in my Model T days my preference for portraits was 85 to 135 mm focal length with 105mm as the optimum. I had a couple of Canon FT cameras.

Do any of you have a recomendation of good sold camera for the above work. Over the years I've had mostly Canon products. I don't want to break the bank but I've always gravitated to qualit and value over price.

THANKS

Jim Reagan

March 25th, 2012, 12:14 am #2

I shot these pics with a simple point and shoot by Nikon:

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/G ... rd/00.shtm

For simple web shots a small camera will do just fine. I own more sophisticated cameras, but I use my small one the most. Just go with your favorite brand and spend what your budget will allow. IIRC, I paid about $200 for the camera I shot those pics with.

March 25th, 2012, 12:20 am #3

I need to purchase a new digital camera suitable for posting items I am selling. My old camera is a 3.5 mega pixel.

Back in my Model T days my preference for portraits was 85 to 135 mm focal length with 105mm as the optimum. I had a couple of Canon FT cameras.

Do any of you have a recomendation of good sold camera for the above work. Over the years I've had mostly Canon products. I don't want to break the bank but I've always gravitated to qualit and value over price.

THANKS

Jim Reagan
...anything from a name brand camera company should do. Get one that uses the same memory cards if you can.

March 25th, 2012, 12:45 am #4

THANKS

Jim Reagan
Just my suggestion if you have grandchildren and you seem to have a favorable regard for Canon cameras. With kids I think you want something that will take good video as well as stills and this camera seems to fill that bill very well. This camera also is terrific as a travel camera with a major zoom lens for a compact camera. You can read a review here:http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/ ... onclusion/
This is a good website to explore other digital cameras currently on the market.

March 25th, 2012, 3:05 am #5

THANKS

Jim Reagan
3.5 MP is way way more than you need for most internet work but you may want more for portaits although don't fall into the trap of thinking resolution is the most important stat on a camera. While it's nice to have 14MP camera's you really don't need it for your usually day to day use. If you plan on making large hardcopies(greater than 8X10) then it will be more needed. If you like Canon and have some Canon lenses you might want to stick with them and see if you can find a DSLR that you can use your existing lenses with.

March 25th, 2012, 5:53 am #6

THANKS

Jim Reagan
You could go all the way and buy a SLR. Canon is very popular here with some very good pieces (I'm a Nikon SLR man myself, but looks occasionally at the green grass at the other side of the fence)

Or buy a pocket camera, you will be amazed how much they cram into them these days. Normal purchasing rule applies: The more you spend the more you get.

Specifically for internet posting, the number of Mega pixels are of no use as pics are ridiculously reduced. This is NOT so for grandchildren, especially if you could use an enlargement from time to time.

March 25th, 2012, 7:38 am #7

THANKS

Jim Reagan
Nikon Coolpix L18 for everything for the last six years. My modelling photos, my outdoors photos, things I'm selling. Everything. It was inexpensive and has good features for it's price range; the only niggle I have is that it's not 'ligntning fast' on actually taking a shot. You can check some of the work it has done in my posts over on the Airfix Group Build under the 'APTGB Boomerang'.

March 25th, 2012, 12:04 pm #8

THANKS

Jim Reagan
My wife and I found out that although the point and shoots are great and easy for portrait-type photos, they didn't work that great when the grandkids were playing (back yard, soccer, baseball) due to shutter lag. So if the kiddies are FAST and you don't want pics of just a foot as they leave the frame, take the shutter lag into consideration. We ended up with a Canon DSLR and have had many much better pics at action scenes!

March 25th, 2012, 3:06 pm #9

Just my suggestion if you have grandchildren and you seem to have a favorable regard for Canon cameras. With kids I think you want something that will take good video as well as stills and this camera seems to fill that bill very well. This camera also is terrific as a travel camera with a major zoom lens for a compact camera. You can read a review here:http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/ ... onclusion/
This is a good website to explore other digital cameras currently on the market.
check out the G1x, SX30 or SX40. These are excellent cameras.

March 25th, 2012, 3:39 pm #10

My wife and I found out that although the point and shoots are great and easy for portrait-type photos, they didn't work that great when the grandkids were playing (back yard, soccer, baseball) due to shutter lag. So if the kiddies are FAST and you don't want pics of just a foot as they leave the frame, take the shutter lag into consideration. We ended up with a Canon DSLR and have had many much better pics at action scenes!
Another vote for DSLR's especially if you're planning candid action shots. If you have a Cannon film SLR then the lenses should work on a Cannon DSLR. But check interchangability before you buy.