Whatever happened to the good old fashioned hobby shops?

Whatever happened to the good old fashioned hobby shops?

April 17th, 2012, 7:51 pm #1

This is somewhat along the lines of the "Is the industry dying or not" thread, but this concerns one particular part of the model industry. I was corresponding with another modeler who often posts on this site and I mentioned that I miss the old local hobby shop where you could go in, shoot the breeze, then maybe buy a kit, paint, or some other goodies. Around where I live there are only a few true model kit oriented hobby shops left and all miles from each other. The rest of the "model shops" are more oriented towards R/C cars and planes where they make the majority of their money. Obviously the internet has been a major factor in the demise of the traditional hobby shops, as well as the relative decline in interest over the years, or should we say, the lack of increased interest in plastic modeling sufficient enough to make a hobby shop profitable. We older modelers can no doubt remember going into the local hobby shop, usually run by some older couple where we stood in awe of the owners built models that we wished we could someday duplicate. Anyway, feel free to chime in, but let's be civil and thoughtful in our comments. I have noticed a lot of vitriolic comments that really detract from the conversation. Those of you who agree please post, others who wish to be combative or show off their acerbic intellectual prowess need not apply. After all, this hobby is supposed to be fun, isn't it?
Cheers

April 17th, 2012, 7:56 pm #2

looking for a bargain online and not supporting the local shop. Spending money that went to the local shop with somone across the globe that has what we want.

Just my opinion..Mike

April 17th, 2012, 7:59 pm #3

This is somewhat along the lines of the "Is the industry dying or not" thread, but this concerns one particular part of the model industry. I was corresponding with another modeler who often posts on this site and I mentioned that I miss the old local hobby shop where you could go in, shoot the breeze, then maybe buy a kit, paint, or some other goodies. Around where I live there are only a few true model kit oriented hobby shops left and all miles from each other. The rest of the "model shops" are more oriented towards R/C cars and planes where they make the majority of their money. Obviously the internet has been a major factor in the demise of the traditional hobby shops, as well as the relative decline in interest over the years, or should we say, the lack of increased interest in plastic modeling sufficient enough to make a hobby shop profitable. We older modelers can no doubt remember going into the local hobby shop, usually run by some older couple where we stood in awe of the owners built models that we wished we could someday duplicate. Anyway, feel free to chime in, but let's be civil and thoughtful in our comments. I have noticed a lot of vitriolic comments that really detract from the conversation. Those of you who agree please post, others who wish to be combative or show off their acerbic intellectual prowess need not apply. After all, this hobby is supposed to be fun, isn't it?
Cheers

April 17th, 2012, 8:03 pm #4

Cheers
to which you refer have been utterly and completely decimated in my area. 6 or 7 at the last count. One major player, and another major hurting..

April 17th, 2012, 8:05 pm #5

Cheers
a

Any day above ground is a good one!!!
If anything in the above post offends you, I suggest you grow a thicker skin!!!
If anything in the above post offends you, I suggest you grow a thicker skin!

April 17th, 2012, 8:09 pm #6

Cheers
are involved first hand had to say about it...

http://www.warbirdradio.com/2012/03/the ... port-ep16/

http://www.warbirdradio.com/2011/11/tam ... -i-get-it/

http://www.warbirdradio.com/2012/01/the ... episode-9/

Sorry about the players all chanting at once, replaced them with links to the individual show pages. You can listen to them there.
Last edited by HawkeyeV on April 17th, 2012, 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 17th, 2012, 8:11 pm #7

Cheers
I am fortunate to have 2 local hobby shops that I have been going to since I was 6(i'm 47 now).The owner always holds back new releases for me and always gives me discounts and has done repairs to my Lionel F-3 for cost of parts only.The shop is always clean,well-lit and organized.Probably explains why it has been in business since '53(his dad started it)!
Last edited by philo426 on April 17th, 2012, 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 17th, 2012, 8:14 pm #8

looking for a bargain online and not supporting the local shop. Spending money that went to the local shop with somone across the globe that has what we want.

Just my opinion..Mike
To start with, all imaginable types of property are ridiculously expensive in the UK due to much financial philandering over the last 20 years or so. To buy or rent a high street shop costs an AWFUL LOT OF MONEY.
You can then double that cost with ridiculous council rates before you even bother to open the door.
So more prominent high street shops in a reasonable size town could be looking to make getting on for 1K sterling a week just to open the door in some cases.
So every time a shop "owner" moves out, the council take great delight in upping the rates to every one else if they possibly can, to make up the shortfall. Guess what happens next?

I don't know if this is what happens in the US and other countries, but it's a terrible shame here in the UK, and it just seems to be gettign worse and wore, to the point now that a lo of shopping high streets in the UK are really not worth the ridiculous parking fees any longer.

April 17th, 2012, 8:17 pm #9

to which you refer have been utterly and completely decimated in my area. 6 or 7 at the last count. One major player, and another major hurting..
It had been open since 1959 until 2010. The last 3 years were about the worst in the entire store's history. All the other shops around me had closed in the last 2 years prior and when I gave my landlord my 30 days notice, they never even replied.

April 17th, 2012, 8:22 pm #10

Cheers
the current owner of AAA Hobbies in the Atlanta area. He's got the last surviving all plastic hobby shop I know of in a 5 hour radius of Chattanooga. I'm sure he'd be more than willing to let you know how tough it is for him to keep the doors open.

My guess is two reasons:

1) The number of us buying models has decreased

and

2) Those of us still buying models are buying most of our stuff on-line

It's real hard to keep a business open with no sales.

Mike