What would have been up on the roof of the tower in the photo?

What would have been up on the roof of the tower in the photo?

July 9th, 2012, 2:13 am #1

It looks like there were a couple of whip or mast antennas, maybe an anemometer whirlygig, perhaps a white and green spotlight, maybe a weathervane. Looks like a flagpole in the fore corner. There's a triangular mounting at the left hand corner, but I have no idea what that was for. What do you think?

July 9th, 2012, 2:22 am #2

roof with out lugging it up stairs?

July 9th, 2012, 2:43 am #3

It looks like there were a couple of whip or mast antennas, maybe an anemometer whirlygig, perhaps a white and green spotlight, maybe a weathervane. Looks like a flagpole in the fore corner. There's a triangular mounting at the left hand corner, but I have no idea what that was for. What do you think?

Were these used in the US?
Large balls made of rolled up cane would be hung in a line on the rope..the number and colour of the balls would provide some form of visual signalling communication with a no radio flight or to signify tower was not manned

[/IMG]
Last edited by cac_sabre on July 9th, 2012, 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 9th, 2012, 2:44 am #4

A gin pole for hoisting heavy/awkward objects up to the tower cab.

Wheels UP-Water
Wheels DOWN-Land
DO NOT confuse the two !

July 9th, 2012, 9:15 am #5

did they mean Hangar #2, referring to the hangar?

July 9th, 2012, 12:31 pm #6

which means anything hoisted up would still be below the top of the railing. If you have to lean out and lift the item over the railing you'd be better off dragging it up the stairs. Besides that, it doesn't appear to be very stout. I suspect Wally is on the right track with the signaling idea.

Regards,
Al Grimm
McCordsville, IN

Paddle faster, I hear banjo's.

July 9th, 2012, 1:32 pm #7

up to the floor level of the cab.
The only thing really heavy on the roof would be the rotating beacon and it can be broken down into smaller parts.

Wheels UP-Water
Wheels DOWN-Land
DO NOT confuse the two !

July 9th, 2012, 3:07 pm #8

Comparing the photo in the original post to the one that Wally posted, it is more likely that the lanyards for the signal balls would be attached to the T-shaped bracket supporting the beacon and the wind gauge (just right of the flag pole). This would place the signals above the roof line and make them easier to see from the air, and I'm assuming it is on the wall facing the runway. The other bracket is on what seems to be the back corner of the building.

Regards,
Al Grimm
McCordsville, IN

Paddle faster, I hear banjo's.

July 9th, 2012, 4:18 pm #9

Were these used in the US?
Large balls made of rolled up cane would be hung in a line on the rope..the number and colour of the balls would provide some form of visual signalling communication with a no radio flight or to signify tower was not manned

[/IMG]
I was reluctant to suggest that because the only type of signal ball I am familiar with is the one used on ships...the black ball to indicate the ship is lying at anchor. Not usually needed for aircraft, but it was a Navy base

I believe that support is indeed for hauling up and displaying those signal balls.

Thanks wally

July 9th, 2012, 5:59 pm #10

I grew up in Spokane and there is a town in the Tri-Cities area known as Pasco. Just wondered if this was one and the same?