What was the most memorable TV event you have witnessed??

What was the most memorable TV event you have witnessed??

July 11th, 2012, 8:54 pm #1

Myself would be 911. My GM & I were watching the television just moments after the 1st jet struck when we saw the 2nd liner come in and strike the other tower. I was in shock. I asked my GM what the heck was happening and he said he thought it was the Polish Air Force on maneuvers. Not funny, even for me.

I was too young to see the JFK assassination.
I did watch the Challenger explode live and the O.J. trial, but those will not stick in my memory like 911.

What was most memorable to you?

Larry

July 11th, 2012, 8:58 pm #2

For Me, Apollo 11 Moon Landing/Mission. n/t

July 11th, 2012, 9:19 pm #3

But 9/11 would have to be the tops. I was listening to the morning FM radio program that day. The broke in saying there was a confusing story coming in about an airplane hitting one of the twin towers. I went and told our shop supervisor, He said lets go get the tv in the conference room. We did and of course the Boss catches us but backed off his usual get to work tone when we saw the video of the airliner hitting. Then the 2nd one hit. They told all of us to go home and get our kids if in school or what ever we needed to do. Just as I turned on the TV at home the first tower fell. I sat down on the floor in shocked disbelief at what I was witnessing!

Watching Vietnam every night on the news in the late 60's, President Reagan being shot, The Kenedy assination...There are many but 9/11 is it for me.

July 11th, 2012, 9:54 pm #4

Myself would be 911. My GM & I were watching the television just moments after the 1st jet struck when we saw the 2nd liner come in and strike the other tower. I was in shock. I asked my GM what the heck was happening and he said he thought it was the Polish Air Force on maneuvers. Not funny, even for me.

I did watch the Challenger explode live and the O.J. trial, but those will not stick in my memory like 911.

Larry
17 January 1991. Felt like a Prime Time show you knew was scheduled on the TV guide.

July 11th, 2012, 9:58 pm #5

we all stayed home and watched it. I have a polaroid my dad took of the tv with the man on moon graphic. I was 10 at the time, and for you oldies, you know how important NASA was to 60's kids.

July 11th, 2012, 9:58 pm #6

Larry
Only because I was home the entire time and was able to watch the whole event. 9/11 and the Kennedy assassination only slightly less so because I was at work or school and had limited access to TV as the events were unfolding.

That being said, a considerably smaller event happened in 1958 made a very deep impression on an 8 year old boy, when Bill Muncey, piloting the unlimited hydroplane Miss Thriftway at the Gold Cup race in Seattle lost his rudder and rammed a US Coast Guard cutter - the first time a Coast Guard vessel had been sunk in peace time. I remember it like it was yesterday. Here's the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFAMusZgs38

The race announcer is Bill O'Mara and hydroplane racing was the only major sport in Seattle at the time (long before the Sonics, Mariners, Seahawks, or Sounders)

Look, when a vastly superior alien culture comes all this way to take over your world, certain basic laws of planetary conquest apply. For example, when someone points a Quad Vectored Hypo Thermic Cosmo Blaster at you, it's a fair bet you are about to become toast. And in your case, a whole loaf of toast!
Last edited by braincells37 on July 11th, 2012, 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 11th, 2012, 10:02 pm #7

Larry
Partly because when I was 8, I was with my family on the stinking, flea-bitten beach across the bay from the launch pad, where I watched it blast off. I had to pee so bad but I didn't dare take a leak for fear of missing it.

Then we drove back to Illinois in time to watch it all on live TV. Mostly CBS, but some ABC too if I remember. My dad put his camera in front of the TV and shot Kodachromes, which I have, including Walter's famous wipe of the brow.

911 is a blur: I got a phone call after the first tower was hit. So I guess I was watching when the second plane hit. Or maybe I just saw it played over and over.

Recently, the most memorable and beautiful thing I've seen live on TV is k.d. lang singing Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" at the 2010 Winter Olympics opening ceremony. You can see it here:https://vimeo.com/28430991 (those announcers should be severely beaten for talking over the beginning). Maybe you can find the NBC video.

July 11th, 2012, 10:21 pm #8

Larry
the CBS correspondent at the time, very cool. I still have them today.

Philip & Maximilian
Head of Ranch Security, Song Dog, Texas

Where has all the music gone?

July 11th, 2012, 10:24 pm #9

Larry
"DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES????"

first time in a long while that many people had felt good about being a US American.....

"Bruce Springsteen? I LOVE him! He's like the American version of Bryan Adams!"

_Robin Sherbotsky

July 11th, 2012, 11:01 pm #10

Standing in a crowd at the Travis BOQ registration desk, having just flown west in our great silver bird (Dover Weenie Wagon), watching on the grainy B&W TV while Neil took that first step, and then "coming back to earth" the next morning, watching the hordes of young GIs milling about in the Travis Air Terminal, waiting for their ride to SEA. And wondering how many of 'em weren't gonna be coming back on their feet.....

Phil