What to do with the big models?

What to do with the big models?

October 18th, 2011, 2:33 am #1

I talked with a few modelers yesterday (breaking bread) and the subject of 1:32 and 1:24 models came up. I quess the question is what do you do with these monsters when they are finished. I mean,a single engine fighter in 32nd is about 15 in. across the wings,a 1:24, mosquito, I don't even want to think about. There's even the 1:8th Dr 1 from some time ago....Practically need a place in the garage for that. So what do you do with these huge models?

October 18th, 2011, 2:40 am #2

nt

October 18th, 2011, 5:05 am #3

I talked with a few modelers yesterday (breaking bread) and the subject of 1:32 and 1:24 models came up. I quess the question is what do you do with these monsters when they are finished. I mean,a single engine fighter in 32nd is about 15 in. across the wings,a 1:24, mosquito, I don't even want to think about. There's even the 1:8th Dr 1 from some time ago....Practically need a place in the garage for that. So what do you do with these huge models?
My girl - well she's kind of an ugly girl. But,that's O.K. I like ugly girls. Because pretty girls can do anything, but ugly girls have to do everything.
-John Birks "Dizzy" Gillespie

October 18th, 2011, 2:11 pm #4

I don't really need to have all my models out on display. For me, the building process is where I get the enjoyment of the hobby. I take a few photographs and store the model in a plastic container that gets put up in the attic. If for some reason I want to look at the model again, I will bring it down, display it on the kitchen table for a while and then back it goes into storage. Since I favor large models and my focus lately has been on 1/32, there never was any attempt to display them in the first place.

Lee K

October 18th, 2011, 2:54 pm #5

Heck, I stopped doing 1/48 for the most part all because of shelf size issues. Biplanes and WWII fighters aren't too bad, but once you get into modern fighters or anything multi-engined, they just get too big too fast.

Thus my shift to 1/72nd, rarely a 1/48 kit, and other than maybe WWI biplanes I have zero intention of ever going to 1/32nd.

-Hans

October 18th, 2011, 3:00 pm #6

I expect to see a lot of these unbuilt models at model swap meets in a few years selling cheap, when modelers decide that they don't have room for more than one or two built-ups. Huge dust collectors, too. Wives and mothers will rebel.

If a model company can't sell enough 1/48 scale kits to survive, how can they do it selling more expensive 1/32 scale kits? Are they actually selling more 1/32 than 1/48 scale models?

October 18th, 2011, 4:38 pm #7

I don't really need to have all my models out on display. For me, the building process is where I get the enjoyment of the hobby. I take a few photographs and store the model in a plastic container that gets put up in the attic. If for some reason I want to look at the model again, I will bring it down, display it on the kitchen table for a while and then back it goes into storage. Since I favor large models and my focus lately has been on 1/32, there never was any attempt to display them in the first place.

Lee K
It's no secret that the Weirdness Works Divsion employees at Bondo Industries, generally speaking, eschew teeny, tiny, toylike airframes. And, a room(s) full of hundreds of dust-gathering 1/72 fighters is never gonna make the pages of Architectural Digest ("Hoarders", mebbe ). Sooo, I build large, custom cardboard boxes using standard Container Store shapes, and then out to the Bondo Industries Storage and Reclamation Facility they go. I can always go out and retrieve 'em if I want to take them to a special show, etc. I know I built them, many of them have been featured in the "pages" of HS, etc., so I don't need to look at 'em every day.

Phil
Last edited by bondo455 on October 18th, 2011, 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 18th, 2011, 5:23 pm #8

into what the wife & I call "The Showrooms". These two large rooms are soley devoted to large models plus other large items & artifacts. If you have the room, then build them. If not, leave them at the store.

Larry @ AUDI
Last edited by NONISL on October 18th, 2011, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 19th, 2011, 3:48 am #9

My girl - well she's kind of an ugly girl. But,that's O.K. I like ugly girls. Because pretty girls can do anything, but ugly girls have to do everything.
I have a Heller 707-320B underway that's 1/72nd scale, and the model is BIG!

Andy

October 20th, 2011, 2:21 pm #10

...That intrepid soul, who spent 20 years on his 1/72 USS Enterprise:
http://www.carrierbuilders.net/gallery/ ... e_1-72.htm
ended up museum bound. Or the scale replica of the Knuffingen Airport:
http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/man- ... 6050348557
If you got that kind of money & commitment, I doubt real estate is an issue.