WHAT THE H**L did micro sol/set do to my model?!

WHAT THE H**L did micro sol/set do to my model?!

August 7th, 2012, 4:21 am #1

So I did my usual, sprayed the model with future and let it dry for 24 hours. Today I started adding on the decals.....and this happened! There spots and the crisp clear decals have become faded and blurry.

I never had this problem with micro sol/set before. Anyone know what is going on?

Thanks

Khumar

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

August 7th, 2012, 4:44 am #2

of future. It may clear up some spotting due to humidity or whatever black magic influences these surface reactions. Does it really appear to have melted the decals? I'm willing to bet not- but AI could be full of poop once again. ;D

What have you got to lose?
chuk

August 7th, 2012, 7:33 am #3

So I did my usual, sprayed the model with future and let it dry for 24 hours. Today I started adding on the decals.....and this happened! There spots and the crisp clear decals have become faded and blurry.

I never had this problem with micro sol/set before. Anyone know what is going on?

Thanks

Khumar

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
-you try using Tamiya X-22 clear (thinned) instead- you won't look back afterwards.

August 7th, 2012, 10:15 am #4

Thanks

Khumar

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Last edited by nzdavidh on August 7th, 2012, 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 7th, 2012, 10:18 am #5

Thanks

Khumar

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
I've had that blushing happen before and clear up later. Almost as though the top coat softens thn drys again.

The decals look like they might be dead though.

David's Model Pages on Facebook -https://www.facebook.com/modelscale
Last edited by nzdavidh on August 7th, 2012, 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 7th, 2012, 11:15 am #6

Thanks

Khumar

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
1st - take a cotton stick or a flat brush, dip it in set of Set and brus it on the problem areas. The white cast should disappear.

2st - spray a thin coat of Future over the problem areas. Cast should disappear.

That is the main reason I stopped using them already after third model - they gave me PIA every time I used them. Since then I use Revell's decal setting solution - it is much more easier to apply, comes with the brush on the cap and works fine even on thick decals, such as hasegawa or tamiya.

Good luck!

Cheers!
Eugene

August 7th, 2012, 11:16 am #7

You can just try to wash it with tap water, but it doesn't always work.

Let us know what works for you

Cheers!
Eugene

August 7th, 2012, 1:10 pm #8

Thanks

Khumar

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
OK, I'm not sure what you're showing us? Are you saying the sol/set caused those odd white blemishes all over the model? If so why are you covering the whole model with sol/set?? I've had it happen to the small area where the decal is and it usually goes away after a couple days or you can recoat with Future to make it go away. At this point, if you can't get it to go away you should be able to easily remove it with some ammonia cleaner(Windex) and recoat(just be careful around the decals if you don't want to remove them.
As for the decals, always test first before you apply them to the model. There is usually some decals on a sheet that you don't need and if not try it on something that might not be critical like a stencil. Also, you don't have to use any solvents on decals, I rarely do if the decal is placed on a flat surface unless I know the decals won't look good without it(usually with overly thick decals). At this point I'd leave them for a couple days and see if they look any better, from these photos they look fine to me.

August 7th, 2012, 1:39 pm #9

Thanks

Khumar

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
You have to wait at least 3 days for the Future to cure and be sparing with the set and sol.

August 7th, 2012, 3:23 pm #10

Thanks

Khumar

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Hi Khumar,

I've found that a mix of water and Sol will cause the same clouding that you've experienced. For some reason, straight Sol does not cause the same problem. Chemistry. Go figure.

In any case, the best solution is to brush straight Sol over the cloudy areas and let it dry. It does soften the Future a bit, so be careful not to handle it until it has had time to completely set up (overnight, just to be certain).

Cheers,
Tony