What's the worst kit box you've seen for "shelf wear"

What's the worst kit box you've seen for "shelf wear"

June 16th, 2012, 3:36 pm #1

For me, it's the Revell Strike Eagle, hands-down.

June 16th, 2012, 3:49 pm #2

I think their strategy is if they put their kits in a ratty box, people will build their kits rather than trying to stack them up in a stash. I love their kits and their subject choices. Their packaging sucks. Adios, Larry.

Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise might be merely a vulgar brawl.

June 16th, 2012, 3:53 pm #3

I'd be hard pressed to think of a flimsier box-except perhaps Revell Germany!

Jacob

June 16th, 2012, 3:55 pm #4

Ben Parsons

"I'm pullin' for ya. We're all in this together." - Red Green
Of course 1 inch = 4 feet. There are others? .... Why?

June 16th, 2012, 4:00 pm #5

The thinnest cheapest cardboard around. They came crushed out of the factory cartons I swear!

Cheers,

Max Bryant

"You'll Love My Wingnuts!"

June 16th, 2012, 4:13 pm #6

I have a Pro Modeler F-84G kit that the box is so flimsy I have to store it on top no matter what. Contrast it with one of the original release A-26 kits I have drug around for years stored at the bottom because it is big, looks fine. Best ones anyone? Dragon Armor boxes.
Rob

June 16th, 2012, 4:19 pm #7

I think their strategy is if they put their kits in a ratty box, people will build their kits rather than trying to stack them up in a stash. I love their kits and their subject choices. Their packaging sucks. Adios, Larry.

Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise might be merely a vulgar brawl.
You've obviously never come across Toko kits then. Their boxes were made of card that was more like thin paper. Combine that with end opening boxes and you get something that doesn't even keep the parts together, let alone protect them.

The kits inside weren't at all bad, though: Kingcobra, 1 1/2 Strutter, etc.

June 16th, 2012, 4:55 pm #8

Boxtop pretty much caves in when breathed upon. Most of those E.Euro kit boxes must be made of recycled TP. Recycling is good tho.

I don't much like end opening boxes either but it's the stuff inside that interestes me in the end and the parts in RoG boxes for example have been arriving undamaged so the box is doing one of its jobs.

June 16th, 2012, 4:55 pm #9

Just lousy boxes. They looked good but were absurdly constructed. A close 2nd place are the idiotic boxes from Monogram and Revell in the mid to late 1990s.

Later,

Lee

June 16th, 2012, 5:02 pm #10

Impossible to stack horizontally. Must be stored vertically or they crush, with sometimes dire results to canopies. I have a dozen or so in the stash and nearly all of them show some damage. Gosh, some were damaged on the store's shelf when I bought them.