What's the word on Trumpy's F9F-2 Panther...?

What's the word on Trumpy's F9F-2 Panther...?

May 26th, 2012, 6:30 am #1

Always did like the airframe and started Hasegawa's 72nd scale kit ages ago. But I got out of the 72nd scale biz just short of ages ago. Now I only do AC in 48th and 32nd. The Trumpy stuff seems to be hit or miss and I was wondering whether their 48th scale Panther was a hit or a miss...?

TIA, Steve

May 26th, 2012, 8:10 am #2

When the kit was released, fans of the Panther were quite critical of the canopy shape, nose and the recessed rivets. The Monogram kit is quite well respected amongst Panther fans. I built both in a joint build, rescribing the Monogram kit which has raised detail. I did tone the Trumpeter rivets down with some Mr Surfacer. Fit of both was excellent. If I was to build another I would likely go for the Trumpeter one because a) no way could I build the Monogram one without losing the raised detail and b) rescribing took at least 20 sessions to get right. If I was more skilled at re scribing, I'd build the Monogram. End results can be seen in the IPMS Avon gallery section in September 2007 ( wow- didn't think it was that long ago!).
Last edited by NeilHoward on May 26th, 2012, 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 26th, 2012, 8:35 am #3

Always did like the airframe and started Hasegawa's 72nd scale kit ages ago. But I got out of the 72nd scale biz just short of ages ago. Now I only do AC in 48th and 32nd. The Trumpy stuff seems to be hit or miss and I was wondering whether their 48th scale Panther was a hit or a miss...?

TIA, Steve
and I found it to be quite a let down, I'm not an expert on the subject but here's my list of glitches:
1.Wing tip tanks are rather small or under-scale..
2.The nose looks funny, it's quite different to the monogram kit
3.Panel lines on the fuselage are rather soft, combined with the over-scale rivet holes make the kit look a bit undefined.
4.The windscreen is horrible!! nicely molded and clear but the shape...mmm no no..
Most of this faults are correctable without much work IMHO, for example there's resin wingtip tanks from Lone star models, you can graft the monogram nose into the Trumpy without much trouble, the windscreen is something I haven't think about it ;P, and the panel lines and rivets are not that bad, a little rescribing and some Mr. surfacer might do the job. I know there's more things to tell about this kit, but the afore-mentioned things are the only ones I'll take care of, remember I'm not an expert but the fuselage looks either rounded or too fat to my eye, others may know more.
HTH
Ron

May 26th, 2012, 10:53 am #4

TIA, Steve
Looks nice in the box, so much so I am having a crack at one as my next build, planned scheme is as a Blue Angels a/c. I guess if you are not a stickler for accuracy, run with it, it certainly looks better in the box than the Monogram one, to me anyways.

Kev C from OZ

May 26th, 2012, 11:25 am #5

TIA, Steve
........The trumpy kit is 8 scale inches too long. Trumpy did not remove the 8" fuselage plug that the later -4/5 Panthers got. Looks like they may have copied the length of the monogram fuselage which is a -5. Too bad they didn't copy the canopy as well.

A pipe give a wise man time to think,
and a fool something to stick in his mouth.

May 26th, 2012, 1:49 pm #6

...then one might be as well off chopping/converting a common Revellogram -5 to a -2/-3.

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

May 26th, 2012, 2:49 pm #7

intakes, shorten the fuselage 8 inches.
Another thing different between the two kits is the fuselage on the Trumpeter kit is deeper in the main wheel wells than the Monogram kit is. Not too noticeable till you try and put a wheel bay made for the Monogram kit into a Trumpeter kit. The nose wheel bay on the Trumpeter kit is almost an exact copy of the Monogram parts. Wasn't there something wrong with the Trumpeter tip tanks too?

May 26th, 2012, 3:54 pm #8

TIA, Steve
To my eye, the biggest issue is the canopy shape (Monogram doesn't get it right, either - better than Trumpeter, but still not quite right). The cross section is off, and the bow frame is raked too far aft. Fortunately PJ Productions sells a vacuform replacement that is a good improvement:http://www.pj-production.net/product/48 ... ed-canopy/

Cheers,
Tony

May 26th, 2012, 4:13 pm #9

TIA, Steve
I've, mirabelle dictu, actually built the evil kit, albeit as a -2P

All the issues are clearly visible.

Joe

Average Modeler and Builder of legacy kits Beyond the Pale. Proud builder of 3' "shelf" models for over half a century; 4' for Spits.

May 26th, 2012, 4:21 pm #10

........The trumpy kit is 8 scale inches too long. Trumpy did not remove the 8" fuselage plug that the later -4/5 Panthers got. Looks like they may have copied the length of the monogram fuselage which is a -5. Too bad they didn't copy the canopy as well.

A pipe give a wise man time to think,
and a fool something to stick in his mouth.
you'll find that the Trumpeter is indeed shorter, and not too far away from the proper length. However, the air brake is still one panel line too far forward. It's not too obvious how Trumpeter got the fuselage to the length they did. It's not as simple as an 8-inch plug at one particular point.

IMHO, having built the Trumpeter kit, the windscreen/canopy is the most serious issue, followed by the (expletive deleted) rivets. I also found that one main gear strut sat noticeably longer than the other (by a couple of mm or so). Dunno if it was builder error or a glitch in the kit.

Pip Moss