what's the difference between Mr Gunze thinner vs "leveling thinner"?

what's the difference between Mr Gunze thinner vs "leveling thinner"?

November 30th, 2013, 5:28 pm #1

Thank you!

November 30th, 2013, 5:30 pm #2

..has some retarder ( slow dry agent ) mixed in. Great stuff, use it all the time.

November 30th, 2013, 5:46 pm #3

November 30th, 2013, 5:52 pm #4

Thank you!
Mr Color thinner is a lacquer thinner for the Mr. Color paints

Mr. Color Leveling Thinner has retarder in it

There is also a Mr. Hobby/Gunze/GSI Creos thinner for the acrylic paints, similar to Tamiyas thinner.

November 30th, 2013, 7:18 pm #5

Thank you!
The regular stuff does a great job of revivifying Mr. Color jars that are starting to thicken too much, and also thins Mr. Surfacer and Mr. Dissolved Putty. The Leveling Thinner might do the same, but I'd be concerned that the retarder might solidify the jar contents over time. However, it can make a big difference when airbrushing; the regular thinner can work with the AB, but it also can throw spider-web lines.

"Don't take your life too seriously, son. At the end of it, you won't be alive anyway."

Red Skelton's mother

November 30th, 2013, 8:37 pm #6

after hearing so many positive things about them.

November 30th, 2013, 9:38 pm #7

The regular stuff does a great job of revivifying Mr. Color jars that are starting to thicken too much, and also thins Mr. Surfacer and Mr. Dissolved Putty. The Leveling Thinner might do the same, but I'd be concerned that the retarder might solidify the jar contents over time. However, it can make a big difference when airbrushing; the regular thinner can work with the AB, but it also can throw spider-web lines.

"Don't take your life too seriously, son. At the end of it, you won't be alive anyway."

Red Skelton's mother
is their restoring agent. Works wonders! You shouldn't work with Mr Color without some of this on the shelf.

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/gunt115xxx.htm

Sprue lists it under Gunze, other than paint.

Jim Johnson

November 30th, 2013, 10:20 pm #8

after hearing so many positive things about them.
use only Mr. Leveling Thinner----you will never get cobwebs. Also, I thin all 50/50 at least You will be very pleased with how it lays down-----no orange peel at all. Smooth as a baby's butt. I also use Mr. Replenisher for very old, thickened paint. It restores them to like new condition. Mr. Color is my go-to paint for all airbrush paint jobs. I've never really used it to brush paint, so I can't speak to that. I have, however, used it as a dip for those tiny bits where you don't want to break out the airbrush, again, thinned 50/50. I hope it works as well for you as it does for me.
M
Remember the USS Liberty

November 30th, 2013, 11:32 pm #9

Thank you!
Mr. Retarder can be used with the regular Mr. Color Thinner or Mr. Leveling Thinner. I checked and found that Sprue Brothers has Mr. Retarder. Been using it for years, before I could get Mr. Leveling Thinner.

Mr. Color is wonderful stuff, but it needs a thinner that will slow the drying long enough to let it -level-. However, I get a great smooth surface, and yet it's also dry enough to handle after a few minutes.

December 1st, 2013, 2:41 pm #10

is their restoring agent. Works wonders! You shouldn't work with Mr Color without some of this on the shelf.

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/gunt115xxx.htm

Sprue lists it under Gunze, other than paint.

Jim Johnson
Does Restorer work with other brands of paint (e.g., Model Master)? Just curious, since the smallest bottle SB offers is 250ml and I don't have that much Mr. Color paint, but if it works with other brands of paint it could be useful to have.