What is the best flat clear cote/varnish/finish to use that doesn´t "frost" ?

March 16th, 2012, 5:07 pm #1

March 16th, 2012, 5:21 pm #2

Hi, Reinhard! I use Testor's DullCote, and haven't had any problems with it.

When you say that a matte coat frosted, can you say more about how it was applied? Was it over a painted and decaled wing or fuselage surface, for example, or did some get on a clear part? DullCote will frost clear pieces, but applied over colors and decals, I haven't had any problems with it.

Hope that helps!
Brad

The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen.

March 16th, 2012, 5:45 pm #3

Testors dullcote is only available in a spray can, that`s right? Do you decant it? or use it as spray? Do you achieve a steady surface?
Usually I use Tamiya clear with flat base or Revell Aqua color flat, although last one is very hard to clean and will ruin your airbrush after some time. Also tried the new Alclad clear cotes for finishing the painted parts. But doesn´t matter how much I thin them or change airbrush pressure, after they are dry, the model surface looks often too greyish or whitish, looks like frost.

March 16th, 2012, 5:59 pm #4

Hi, Reinhard! I use Testor's DullCote, and haven't had any problems with it.

When you say that a matte coat frosted, can you say more about how it was applied? Was it over a painted and decaled wing or fuselage surface, for example, or did some get on a clear part? DullCote will frost clear pieces, but applied over colors and decals, I haven't had any problems with it.

Hope that helps!
Brad

The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen.
I too use Testor's Dullcote as my preferred clear flat, but last year I had some severe problems with it frosting over after application. By this I mean, the clear flat coat, applied over either fully-cured Model Master enamels or Future, developed a milky, off-white haze to it after drying, and was most definitely not clear anymore. I had to carefully remove it and then re-spray.

After this happened several times, I started trying to figure out why. After exhausting several possibilities (buying a new bottle of Dullcote, etc), I finally settled on excess humidity as the most likely culprit, specfically the moisture trap on the compressor not being bone dry. Since I started removing the moisture trap and drying it out thoroughly before each airbrush session, starting out with absolutely zero water in the moisture trap, the problem has not recurred.

Ed

March 16th, 2012, 6:01 pm #5

Testors dullcote is only available in a spray can, that`s right? Do you decant it? or use it as spray? Do you achieve a steady surface?
Usually I use Tamiya clear with flat base or Revell Aqua color flat, although last one is very hard to clean and will ruin your airbrush after some time. Also tried the new Alclad clear cotes for finishing the painted parts. But doesn´t matter how much I thin them or change airbrush pressure, after they are dry, the model surface looks often too greyish or whitish, looks like frost.
#1160 is the bottle (big 1 3/4 oz square bottle)

There's also the very similar Model Master laquer product - #2015, and a similar enamel-based Floquil one - #110015.  I've tried them all and they work well, Dullcote is a little hit-and-miss in regards to the flatness level, one bottle will be dead flat, the next might be more of a satin. If this happens you can pour out some of the clear carrier liquid after the flatttening agent settles out.  The Model Master and Floquil products tend to be a little more consistent across batches.  In my experience, all flat coats will lighten the base colors a little just due to the refraction of light on the surface, but they shouldn't look like frost. 

My favorite is PollyScale, but that's now OOP and if you find some you'd better scoop it all up.  It didn't frost but it would almost always spit out a little clump or two of the flattening agent that would leave a little white spot, but it was easy to fix.   

March 16th, 2012, 6:50 pm #6

I too use Testor's Dullcote as my preferred clear flat, but last year I had some severe problems with it frosting over after application. By this I mean, the clear flat coat, applied over either fully-cured Model Master enamels or Future, developed a milky, off-white haze to it after drying, and was most definitely not clear anymore. I had to carefully remove it and then re-spray.

After this happened several times, I started trying to figure out why. After exhausting several possibilities (buying a new bottle of Dullcote, etc), I finally settled on excess humidity as the most likely culprit, specfically the moisture trap on the compressor not being bone dry. Since I started removing the moisture trap and drying it out thoroughly before each airbrush session, starting out with absolutely zero water in the moisture trap, the problem has not recurred.

Ed
don`t get Testors dullcote in Europe, as far as I know it´s banned becaise of its ingredients, but I just found a new bottle of Modelmaster flatcote 2015 in my paintstash, I´ll try that one and maybe also the trick with the moisture trap of the compressor, lte´s see...thanks so far

March 16th, 2012, 8:44 pm #7

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-81786-XF ... 0660322002

March 16th, 2012, 8:53 pm #8

wonder how it is, if its like the Gunze or more like the old Tamiya clear with flat base..

March 16th, 2012, 8:57 pm #9

No idea- but my friend and I have decided between us that anything that carries the two stars is always a top quality product- and i could really do with a durable and easily available product that "does what it says on the tin."
As soon as I can get hold of some, I will post my findings- it appears to be available on Ebay.

March 16th, 2012, 9:03 pm #10

think I´ll try it too, already available at most internet hobbystores