What ifs

What ifs

May 9th, 2012, 9:40 am #1

What is your opinion about what if kits?
Do you like them or do you think there is no room for them in modelling.
I mainly build kits of aircraft that exist but when I have an idea that is plausible and more than one example of a kit that is not too expensive I build it.

Thank you very much in advance

Saluti

Giampiero+Christian

May 9th, 2012, 10:12 am #2

I enjoy doing something different. I think my what ifs are usually more of context rather than hardware- for example, I've been hung up on the idea of Finland getting the F3F-2 instead of the Buffalo... and I've got several of the Acc Min F3Fs...

For airframe mods I am more inclined to reproduce something real, like a unique prototype or a "Tora Zero". Come to think of it I'm more likely to do an oddball historical scheme than a purely fanciful one, unless there is some historical "It almost went THIS way instead..." But like I said, I enjoy thinking about them!

bob
"Ignorance is bliss, but I find learning more interesting." - Me, as far as I know

May 9th, 2012, 11:23 am #3

I mainly build kits of aircraft that exist but when I have an idea that is plausible and more than one example of a kit that is not too expensive I build it.

Saluti

Giampiero+Christian
I like creating What-If models, it gives me a chance to use some artistic flair or create something beyond reality. It also like many what if creations gives an opportunity of what tomorrow might bring. Combine a what-if with a fictional story and you have given your mind a workout.

http://hawkeyes-squawkbox.com/story-tim ... terceptor/

http://www.warbirdradio.com/2012/01/the ... eling-ep7/

May 9th, 2012, 11:27 am #4

Saluti

Giampiero+Christian
I've done a few, fake markings, fake variants, and entirely fake aircraft types altogether. For me though, it creates a problem of how to display them. They don't sit well next to actual types, and end up being oddballs, Almost requiring their own display area. Still, I like how what-ifs open doors for creativity, making it possible to use whatever colors and schemes one wishes to make. Also, a great way to use up some of those spare decals!I've only recently noticed people making movie aircraft; Hollywood mockups of Bf 109's and Japanese Texans. I think it's a great idea, and to be fair, those aircraft DO exist. ANother possiblity I've been considering is the warbird types, that are often in slightly wrong schemes for the actual variant, or even warbirds which have been modified to fit passengers, like the P-40 that sells rides in Nampa, Id. It's an E model, but it has an extended cockpit. Or the famous ex-French Skyraider, with side doors, etc, posing with the stinging bee markings and a full load of fake missiles! Great building opportunities.

May 9th, 2012, 11:55 am #5

Saluti

Giampiero+Christian
With respect to the question regarding whatif KITS (like Luft 46) I can answer with a simple "No I donot like them". However they have their origine in a PC game called Aces of the Luftwaffe. Which was nice in it's days and went beyond the downfall of 1945.
When I think of whatif models in general - I like them. All kind of colours can be used, all kind of Airforces can have something they never ever had - like the Dutch Spiteful which now come to mind.
One nice thing is the story you will have to make up. Why did the Dutch by the Mirage or Phantom as they already had the F-104G? The Starfighter was no dog fighter and the Soviets carrier was in the North Sea WITH fighter aircraft. So an answer was wanted.
It is something else. Display them next to your "real" mjodels WITH a short explanation.
Enjoy your modelling.

May 9th, 2012, 11:56 am #6

Saluti

Giampiero+Christian
... the exceptional what-if artwork which one can see on the web.

May 9th, 2012, 12:56 pm #7

Saluti

Giampiero+Christian
I got to many actual aircraft to build. Though if I find an aircraft I really like that didn't get of the drawings board I might have a go. Also if I want to use up some spares decals I might do a what-if paint scheme.

May 9th, 2012, 2:10 pm #8

Saluti

Giampiero+Christian
...but I don't have any problem with those that do.  As long as folks are building models of SOMETHING, I'm happy!

May 9th, 2012, 3:08 pm #9

Saluti

Giampiero+Christian
What does it matter what others think? If you want to build it then do whatever you want.

May 9th, 2012, 3:20 pm #10

Saluti

Giampiero+Christian
I enjoy building many types of "What if" models from those already made as models from the various kit manufacturers to many that I make up myself. Remember many of the "What if" models have ended up as real airplanes, Rutan's Scale composites Inc. makes many "real" aircraft for many newly starting companies. Most prototypes start with an idea in the "What if" category, most all models from movies are also in this category, Star Trek, Star Wars, etc.