What i 've been doing these past 9 months Part 2- My VVS Sturmovik (Zvezda 1/72)

What i 've been doing these past 9 months Part 2- My VVS Sturmovik (Zvezda 1/72)

iulianos
iulianos

April 25th, 2012, 10:49 pm #1

This is the Zvezda (actually Toko according to the experten ) kit with some simple additions / replacements , mainly some crash-moulded parts for the canopy and some work in the belly radiator and nose intake. Detailwise and overall it is a decent kit but you need a power tool to refine it a bit. I cut the belly radiator , thinned the edges, blanked it and tried to detail with aluminum / plastic sheet. One wing fits ok but the other not so. In order to make everything symmetrical i had to practise the darks arts of sanding , filing , putting with every ounce (or gr?) of my modelling determination. Decals from kit.
The model is brush painted .The colours are eyeballed enamel and acrylics. Clear cotes from spray can, grey - brown oil washes, chipping by dry brush and toothpicks , some pastels.
Ah! The joys of copy/paste.. I think the colour looks fine but i would like to hear that from an VVS dedicated person. Eitherway i will be sleeping like a baby..Comments and critic welcome! Hope you like it..

iulianos, Corfu , Greece

April 25th, 2012, 11:11 pm #2

Excellent paint work and solid construction. Nicely done!

Jacob

April 26th, 2012, 4:22 am #3

This is the Zvezda (actually Toko according to the experten ) kit with some simple additions / replacements , mainly some crash-moulded parts for the canopy and some work in the belly radiator and nose intake. Detailwise and overall it is a decent kit but you need a power tool to refine it a bit. I cut the belly radiator , thinned the edges, blanked it and tried to detail with aluminum / plastic sheet. One wing fits ok but the other not so. In order to make everything symmetrical i had to practise the darks arts of sanding , filing , putting with every ounce (or gr?) of my modelling determination. Decals from kit.
The model is brush painted .The colours are eyeballed enamel and acrylics. Clear cotes from spray can, grey - brown oil washes, chipping by dry brush and toothpicks , some pastels.
Ah! The joys of copy/paste.. I think the colour looks fine but i would like to hear that from an VVS dedicated person. Eitherway i will be sleeping like a baby..Comments and critic welcome! Hope you like it..

iulianos, Corfu , Greece

Impressive work! Well done.

April 26th, 2012, 7:55 am #4

iulianos, Corfu , Greece

Nice work, BTW.
George, out...............

April 26th, 2012, 1:20 pm #5

iulianos, Corfu , Greece

Some lovely fine detail there.

Stuart

April 26th, 2012, 8:15 pm #6

iulianos, Corfu , Greece

Well done. I almost thought it was the new 48th one from Tamyia!

Nice job and thanks for posting.

Regards,

Dan From Tacoma, Washington USA

April 26th, 2012, 8:53 pm #7

iulianos, Corfu , Greece

Nice work again Iulianos, it has a nice worn look

Painting that white circle on the prop must've been fun

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - TT-1 Pinto : Part I (incl Panthers Cup 2012 show report)
1/72 - Airfix/Jo-Han - Mitsubishi Zero/Rufe conversion: Part I

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

April 26th, 2012, 11:13 pm #8

iulianos, Corfu , Greece

am very flattered by your comments! George, that tube is a sort of dust filter.Behind that tube ,on the real thing, is an intake (for a radiator probably?).If your google some Sturmovik pictures in winter cammo you will notice just a hole in it's place. Hope i helped..
Mr Smith, Mr Stuart , Mr William one of the first things i do when i login is to check the Airfix Group Build.. Good luck with your builds all..
Last edited by iulianos on April 26th, 2012, 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 27th, 2012, 2:28 am #9

iulianos, Corfu , Greece

Dang, Iulianos, that is a nice looking Sturmovik! I wholeheartedly agree with everyone's else's comments - well done indeed. I especially like how you've nailed the masking between the different colours, and on the upper and lower wings. I know it sounds like a small thing, but I often mess it up and it sure looks good when it's done right!
Best...Ted...

Current Build:
Postwar RCAF Pt. 1; Postwar RCAF Pt. 2; Postwar RCAF Pt. 3

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1; Mad About Migs Pt. 2; Mad About Migs Pt. 3; Mad About Migs Pt. 4; Mad About Migs Pt. 5; Mad About Migs Pt. 6;
Mad About Migs Pt. 7; Mad About Migs Pt. 8; Mad About Migs Finish

Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3; Matilda Makeover Finish;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;

Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

April 27th, 2012, 11:57 am #10

iulianos, Corfu , Greece

looks excellent to me!

As it happens I'm reading "Red Sky, Black Death: A Soviet Woman Pilot's Memoir of the Eastern Front" by Anna Timofeyeva-Yegorova, the first female Il-2 pilot in WW2. Great read (though I've only just got to the point where she transfers from flying Po-2s to Il-2s)

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Sky-Black-Dea ... 0893573558