what happened to older planes in WWII ?

what happened to older planes in WWII ?

July 7th, 2012, 2:12 am #1

what was the usual fate of planes as newer ones came online?

where did the P-40s, Wildcats, etc go?

July 7th, 2012, 2:18 am #2

history buffs many went into Lake Michigan to be recovered 60+ years later and restored......

July 7th, 2012, 2:24 am #3

The aircraft were expendable. U.S. factories were building more new planes than we had trained pilots. At the end of the war, even the newer planes were sold as scrap or just bulldozed into the ground. The expense and potential loss of life was more important than the aircraft. My Grandfather was in Kunming China when the war ended. He used to tell me that a lot of planes and equipment were burned and buried in a dump near the airbase.

Kinda sad.

Mike Witous

S.F.

Visit us at: http://www.meetup.com/TemValModClub/
Temecula Valley Model Club
"Haud Sceptrum, Haud Sentio, Haud Forsit

July 7th, 2012, 2:32 am #4

Flew them from England to Germany, got on a DC-3 and went back for another, repeat, and repeat. The basically new Mustangs had a dynamite charge placed in the engine "V" to destroy the power plant and then they were sent to the smelter. This was to kick-start the German economy and who needs to maintain a bunch of war planes when the war has been won?

A former boss was in the army and was in charge of bicycle disposal. True story. Lots of bicycles went to France from England. These were loaded on barges and off-loaded into the Channel. Not good to have a lot of cheap transportation lying around.

MB

July 7th, 2012, 3:35 am #5

Ya remember that '48 Dodge your pop had...?
Andrew White

July 7th, 2012, 3:42 am #6

Flew them from England to Germany, got on a DC-3 and went back for another, repeat, and repeat. The basically new Mustangs had a dynamite charge placed in the engine "V" to destroy the power plant and then they were sent to the smelter. This was to kick-start the German economy and who needs to maintain a bunch of war planes when the war has been won?

A former boss was in the army and was in charge of bicycle disposal. True story. Lots of bicycles went to France from England. These were loaded on barges and off-loaded into the Channel. Not good to have a lot of cheap transportation lying around.

MB
the bikes but I'd think there was much use for those for the people in bombed out France, Germany, etc. Their own bike industry would take a yr or two to get back into the game and provide for the locals.

Trashing a/c I can understand a bit more. Full of $$ raw material.

Anyone know. At war's end, were a/c available for pvt citizens to buy? If I had a spare 2, 3, 5G, could I have purchased a no longer req'd P-51B, guns removed of course?

I know countries bought surplus for their own new AFs. Survey, transport, etc, companies. Hollywood too. Some B-25s turned up as exec transport after the war.

July 7th, 2012, 3:46 am #7

If it was a navy bird, it was pushed off of the deck of a carrier into the ocean. Sometimes they took off necessary parts, punched holes in the fuselage with an ax to ensure a quick sinking, and over the side she went. Some may have been spared for similar fates.

Army aircraft were destroyed by fire, bull dozed into pits, or pushed off of cliffs into the ocean, depending on the location of certain airbases.

Other aircraft were turned over to the airforces of the counties who were friendly with the Americans and the allies.

July 7th, 2012, 4:24 am #8

the bikes but I'd think there was much use for those for the people in bombed out France, Germany, etc. Their own bike industry would take a yr or two to get back into the game and provide for the locals.

Anyone know. At war's end, were a/c available for pvt citizens to buy? If I had a spare 2, 3, 5G, could I have purchased a no longer req'd P-51B, guns removed of course?

I know countries bought surplus for their own new AFs. Survey, transport, etc, companies. Hollywood too. Some B-25s turned up as exec transport after the war.
$5G? You could buy a squadron for that much. Everything from P-64s to O-52s to B-25s to B-17s to C-46s to you name it. Someone even wanted a B-32 for a circumpolar flight--that fell through. But a lot of it was planes being bought for scrap value or for the value of gas in the tanks or just because they could. The transport types were worth a fair amount, and a lot of C-types ended up in commercial use. But the smaller hi-performance types (especially the gas-guzzling fighters) really didn't have much utility in a peacetime setting, except maybe as air racers. The L-birds sold pretty well, though, and a lot of the training gliders that started out as light planes or were new-built without the engines were rebuilt as light planes after the war.

"Don't take your life too seriously, son. At the end of it, you won't be alive anyway."

Red Skelton's mother

July 7th, 2012, 6:37 am #9

nm

July 7th, 2012, 7:01 am #10

I talked to one veteran once who told me that as they got off the tropp ship that brought them back to the States they all had to turn in thier Army issue wristwatches at the dock, where a guy would smash them with a hammer. That way the vets would have to buy new ones. Smililarly, I talked to a guy once who said he worked in a warehouse after the war, where they had to open box after box of military issue lether jackets and slice them with knives to render them useless.

SN