What does this mean? Archive is 'deep six'?

What does this mean? Archive is 'deep six'?

July 19th, 2012, 3:38 pm #1

July 19th, 2012, 4:11 pm #2

Couldn't store the material for a couple hundred a month at a self storage place? Find another library, somewhere, to accept the collection ..... OR the shelving? I realize for many beancounters that trashing/tossing is 'cheaper' than many other poss routes but it's a great shame when it comes down to just that one solution!

July 19th, 2012, 5:20 pm #3

on this issue. The periodical does not look all that, well, reliable.

I volunteer at an NPS Military Site, organizing a library as it happens, for the past 17 months. I do not see that attitude. In fact, in looking at dozens of NPS documents re preservation, it sees its task as preserving our heritage and goes to great pains to accomplish that task.

Now, is there a loose NPS cannon out there? Maybe, but confirmation from more reliable source (NPS documents, Journal articles and the like)would be useful.

David Aiken: comments?

Joe

Average Modeler and Builder of legacy kits Beyond the Pale. Proud builder of 3' "shelf" models for over half a century; 4' for Spits.

July 19th, 2012, 6:27 pm #4

William G. "Burl" Burlingame, has been a senior reporter for the Honolulu Star-Bulletin, now Honolulu Star-Advertiser, for over 25 years...

He is now the Curator of the Pacific Aviation Museum...

His reporting on Pearl Harbor has been extensive.
Hope this helps,
David Aiken

July 19th, 2012, 10:15 pm #5

Is the reporting accurate?

Joe

Average Modeler and Builder of legacy kits Beyond the Pale. Proud builder of 3' "shelf" models for over half a century; 4' for Spits.

July 20th, 2012, 8:40 pm #6

... in storage. The bookshelves themselves were tossed into a dumpster (by the time I got to them, three days of rain had warped the wood beyond repair). Historian Dan Martinez has also been told to get rid of his personal collection of references. I'm offering Dan space in the PAMPH library for his collection for the time being.

One thing I didn't make clear was that the library was not held at the newly renovated Park Service site, but rather in a overflow building leased by the PS on the naval base. It already wasn't easy for civilians to access the collection. Planning for the renovated park didn't include archives or library.
Last edited by Buzz1941 on July 20th, 2012, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.