What Does "College" Mean?

What Does "College" Mean?

April 11th, 2012, 4:55 pm #1

I thought I understood the word perfectly, but on another board, someone posted that "college" means "any post-high school education or training," including trade, technical, or career training, truck driving schools, "beauty" academies, and so forth. I've never heard the word used that way but someone else piped up and said it's commonly used that way in the midwest.

Anyone else ever heard the word "college" used in such a way?

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

April 11th, 2012, 5:03 pm #2

post-secondary learning places while "university" refers to the more academic schools. The line has started to blur however now that Canadian colleges are starting to offer degree programs in some disciplines. Anyway, I've always had the impression this distinction doesn't apply in the USA.

Cheers,
Roy

April 11th, 2012, 5:15 pm #3

I thought I understood the word perfectly, but on another board, someone posted that "college" means "any post-high school education or training," including trade, technical, or career training, truck driving schools, "beauty" academies, and so forth. I've never heard the word used that way but someone else piped up and said it's commonly used that way in the midwest.

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

Sat Cong!
Beauty school, it has on the sign "Beauty College", or in the semi truck world, "Truck college". Not unusual up here.
Regards,
Larry @ AUDI

April 11th, 2012, 5:24 pm #4

...do you consider someone who's completed "Beauty College" or "Truck College" to be a "college graduate"? I don't, and I've never heard of any HR department that did, either.

Sat Cong!

April 11th, 2012, 5:50 pm #5

places are just a name. They do however prepare them fairly well to pass their State examination so they can legally enter the field. Those courses run perhaps 2-5K and that is questionable as it could be more or less.
Now compare that cost to my college training at highly accredited Universities, the diff is about $300,000.00+. I have my degree's. Those people get a "Certificate of Completion" . Better than a HS Diploma, but not by too much.
In short, the word in those facilities is just that: a word.
I do not discredit them either. At least they did something and not lay around doing drugs, stealing cars, and playing Pimp Daddy, so I do congratulate them for their accomplishment.
Regards,
Larry @ AUDI

April 11th, 2012, 7:19 pm #6

Sat Cong!
and i agree 100 %. However, checking my old dictionary, the word "denotes" a community in a common interest, etc. College of Cardinals, Electoral College, technical schools, college divisions of a university, etc.

As one reply noted, there is a tremendous differnce when you apply for certain career positions. In the broad overview, it was used correctly. George

April 11th, 2012, 8:23 pm #7

Sat Cong!
"College" is a big building for education beyond high school. It gives courses in Liberal Arts, Science, Math, the Arts, things like that. As in Northwestern College and schools like that.

Trades schools, electronic tech, welder, or social services aid or hair dresser is taken care of in "vocational school" or "technical college".

On-line "college" is not even in the same ball park. Use the computer, answer the questions (and you can cheat all you want) and you get a "college" degree that' may or may not be honored, may or may not be used to pursue a degree at a stone and mortar "college" and may or may not advance you at all in life.

I think like you do Snake. A college is some big campus/building you can point to on a map and that offers classes specializing in the arts and sciences. Even Malaysian Library Science if that's your gig. I suppose anything else that offers "higher education" can be considered a "college" but it's not the same thing in my mind.

I attended Kendall College and Northwestern University to learn radicalism, drugs, and partying 101. I attended Racine Technical Institute for Applied Electronics. I went to the University of Wisconsin to get my Electrical Engineering degree. I'm proud of attending all of them but they are not the same. To think it all started being a Nuke Squid.

Illegitimi non carborundum
In memory of Denis Keegan.

April 11th, 2012, 8:55 pm #8

Sat Cong!
He never considered it to be "a college education." He never graduated from high school so he did not consider himself qualified for "college,' even though the trade school was at Kilgore Junior College.

It's not unusual to see the word "College" added to the name of almost any place that offers specialized training, especially if a state license is required for the work. It's a new thing, not used when I was at the University or when my dad was in his trade school.

MB

April 11th, 2012, 9:01 pm #9

Sat Cong!
...but I think it's a bit of a stretch to apply it to ANY post-high-school trade school, etc.

Like Larry says, the end result of a trade school versus a college or university is some sort of state certification or ability to qualify for a state certification, not a degree (BS, BA, AAS, MA, MS, etc.) I think that's a reasonable distinction. Beauty college does not offer an AAS as far as I know like a technical college does.

Definition 1C seems to offer some latitude in intepretation:

Per the American Heritage Dictionary:

col·lege
n.
a. An institution of higher learning that grants the bachelor's degree in liberal arts or science or both.

b. An undergraduate division or school of a university offering courses and granting degrees in a particular field.

c. A school, sometimes but not always a university, offering special instruction in professional or technical subjects.

d. The students, faculty, and administration of such a school or institution.

e. The building or buildings occupied by such a school or institution.

f. Chiefly British A self-governing society of scholars for study or instruction, incorporated within a university.

g. An institution in France for secondary education that is not supported by the state.
a. A body of persons having a common purpose or shared duties: a college of surgeons.

b. An electoral college.

3. A body of clerics living together on an endowment.

April 11th, 2012, 10:33 pm #10

Sat Cong!
Local "colleges" or "community colleges".

Old Digger Pilot