What a day, scarry when memories of youth become memorials - Dick Clark dies @ 82

What a day, scarry when memories of youth become memorials - Dick Clark dies @ 82

April 18th, 2012, 8:05 pm #1

He should have retired long ago. Watching him do New Years was painful and depressing.

I grew up outside of Philly, and American Bandstand and Dick Clark was a daily event for me as a kid.

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

Ive realized that most people ... tend not to be direct when they feel something is shoddy because they want to be liked, "which is actually a vain trait".
[Walter Isaacson's (author of Steve Jobs) recounting of his interview with Jony Ive, Chief Designer at Apple @ page p. 461]

BUY THIS BOOK
http://tinyurl.com/Ididntseeitcoming

April 18th, 2012, 8:15 pm #2

scene/airwaves ten yrs ago. We'd be more likely to picture his ABS days rather than the feeble very old guy trying to hold on to whatever. Larry King too (whatta joke/waste of airspace!), tho I'm not comparing the two talent-wise of course. DC WAS a big part of the music/b'cast industry. Quite the businessman!

April 18th, 2012, 9:02 pm #3

He should have retired long ago. Watching him do New Years was painful and depressing.

I grew up outside of Philly, and American Bandstand and Dick Clark was a daily event for me as a kid.

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

Ive realized that most people ... tend not to be direct when they feel something is shoddy because they want to be liked, "which is actually a vain trait".
[Walter Isaacson's (author of Steve Jobs) recounting of his interview with Jony Ive, Chief Designer at Apple @ page p. 461]

BUY THIS BOOK
and have the B&W TV tuned in to American Bandstand to (of course) check out the young lovelies from just south of us in Philly. Knew many of 'em by name...

Phil

April 19th, 2012, 12:38 pm #4

BUY THIS BOOK
Don't recall why, but had other things to do. Do recall seeing re-run clips of it, tho.

For the longest, we had only 1 TV channel, then we got the second channel and had a choice??? What?? can't watch but one at a time!! Before remotes, too.

Bo
Last edited by jabow1 on April 19th, 2012, 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 19th, 2012, 1:38 pm #5

for our TV...ME!!!

April 19th, 2012, 5:11 pm #6

BUY THIS BOOK
around out there, hopefully deep in the vaults of ABC, there's film footage of a tall, skinny geeky looking kid with black horn rimmed glasses and a mop top haircut (hey the Beatles were big!) circa 1966 rocking out to the "new hits" on American Bandstand after it relocated to studio 55 in ABC's television studio lot. And as I recall, the dance floor looked a lot bigger on our little TV sets than it was when you were dancing. Don't know if that studios still there but would sort of doubt it. Anyway, all part of "the scene" in 1960s LA!
McLents

April 19th, 2012, 7:40 pm #7

Don't recall why, but had other things to do. Do recall seeing re-run clips of it, tho.

For the longest, we had only 1 TV channel, then we got the second channel and had a choice??? What?? can't watch but one at a time!! Before remotes, too.

Bo
and it wasn't me. It was a ZENITH B&W, and the remote would trigger a big brass up and down channel selector. As I think back, I am pretty sure the remote triggered a servo that actuated the up and down selector (a mechanical channel changer if you will). Eventually, the device got lost, and yours truly was the remote.

"The FANS are fighting back!!!"
"The SECURITY GUARDS are fighting back!!!"
"The PEANUT VENDORS are fighting back!!!"