Were there any "Tactical" Prop aircraft that...

Were there any "Tactical" Prop aircraft that...

March 14th, 2012, 11:08 pm #1

... Were in-flight refuelable?

I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Strategic, I can think of a few, AJ-2 Savage, B-50...

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we've been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don
Luke: 22:36

March 14th, 2012, 11:42 pm #2

However, I only know of it as a buddy tanker for refuelling various navy jets, not as a receiver.

March 15th, 2012, 2:49 am #3

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we've been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don
AJ-2, no. Nor the A2J as far as I know.

March 15th, 2012, 12:02 pm #4

Semper Fi, Don
.... So, I guess it's safe to say there were no in-flight refuelable tactical prop driven aircraft.

Semper Fi, Don
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don
Luke: 22:36

March 15th, 2012, 1:26 pm #5

However, I only know of it as a buddy tanker for refuelling various navy jets, not as a receiver.
Oil capacity was the endurance limit. With two big drops, it could fly for up to 14 hours. ADs expected to do that (Sandblower = nuclear strike) had an auxiliary oil tank for replenishment of the engine oil tank.

March 15th, 2012, 4:24 pm #6

over Japan with only a couple of gallons of oil left in their 75-gallon engine oil tanks. Radial recips can consume a lot of oil....

March 16th, 2012, 1:38 am #7

To quote the manual on the Wright R-1820 radial engine: "Oil consumption of 5 gallons or less per h0ur is not to be considered excessive" (heck, a lot of them I used to work on leaked that much in an hour!)