Were Mk.IV Panzer turrets used as pill-boxex?

Were Mk.IV Panzer turrets used as pill-boxex?

March 27th, 2012, 9:59 am #1

G'Day all. Did the Germans use surplus (if any) Panzer Mk.IV turrets as pill-boxes?
IIRC, they used some Panther turrets as such. Did they use any others in the same way?
I ask because I have a poor Mk.IV turret spare.
TIA. George, out.............

March 27th, 2012, 11:10 am #2

I've got a 1/72 scale resin diorama that uses a short barreled panzer IV turret on a bunker.

RobG

March 27th, 2012, 11:58 am #3

G'Day all. Did the Germans use surplus (if any) Panzer Mk.IV turrets as pill-boxes?
IIRC, they used some Panther turrets as such. Did they use any others in the same way?
a Panzer IV Turret "Panzerturm" photographed at Omaha Beach. I thick it is a Panzer IV Ausf D or E turret with the cupola removed/replaced

March 27th, 2012, 12:42 pm #4

Its a VK 3001 - great grand daddy to the Tiger tank. A couple tanks and turrets were built for testing and the leftover turrets were used as bunkers. Aside from cosmetic similarities, its a different turret (the roof opens up, for example.

March 27th, 2012, 12:44 pm #5

The Panzer III N turret was used on some rail cars and a couple rail cars used Panzer IV H/J turrets but I do not recall any German Panzer IV turret bunkers. Post War some of the Warsaw Pact countries used redundant German tanks dug in as static defenses.

March 27th, 2012, 6:43 pm #6

There were many buried Pz IVs and Stugs buried on the Bulgarian frontier and used as strong points.