C-135 Identity Crisis... JC-135B now...!

Joined: October 13th, 2006, 2:21 am

July 1st, 2018, 9:09 pm #1

Some of you might remember when this build started... last year... as an EC-135 ARIA aircraft based on the Minicraft KC-135E kit. Well, long story, but I abandoned that project, and moved toward finishing it as a WC-135B. NOW THAT'S BEEN ABANDONED ALSO and it will now become the JC-135B. This was a one off aircraft used to test and evaluate emerging SATCOM technologies. While other airframes were also used, this was the only "B" so modified. The dorsal satellite dish housing was formed from a plastic strip frame and Milliput. The other mods to the boom pod and tail were already handled in its previous incarnations, along with a Fisher nose. It'll be getting the TF33 engines on the right... and those are Scale Aircraft Conversion landing gear replacements...

It's no wonder I rarely finish anything...!











Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by bluedot25 on July 1st, 2018, 9:09 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: May 24th, 2005, 5:30 am

Re: WC-135 Constant Phoenix WIP

July 3rd, 2018, 3:20 pm #2

Looking great so far.   Following along with this one.   Are the SAC landing gear worth it in this scale?  
Don
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: October 13th, 2006, 2:21 am

WC-135 Constant Phoenix WIP

July 3rd, 2018, 5:04 pm #3

Thanks Don... I do think the SAC gear are worth it... The kit parts are nice, but cleaning up the seams is difficult because some of the delicate areas are prone to breaking. The SAC gear needs a little clean up too but is much stronger. The mains will need a little tweaking to get them to fit, and the nose gear really needs to be installed before gluing the fuselage halves together. (I didn't do that... still need to work that out!)


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: May 24th, 2005, 5:30 am

July 19th, 2018, 9:08 pm #4

Nice to see you opened up the second A/C pack under the starboard wing.   Many miss this part.  Did you use the kit fans in the J-57 engines?  Really looking forward to more updates.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: October 13th, 2006, 2:21 am

Re: WC-135 Constant Phoenix WIP

July 20th, 2018, 6:04 am #5

The fans on both sets of engines are actually from a Minicraft C-18 kit (aka 707-300 kit). The kit comes with many more than you need, and I made resin copies to have more. They are round (not oval like in the KC-135E kit). It took alot of surgery and reconstruction to make them fit decently in both the -135 engines, but I'm pleased with how they turned out. Sorry, but I didn't take photos of the process.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: October 13th, 2006, 2:21 am

July 24th, 2018, 8:48 pm #6

And the two A/C packs still apply on this version too...


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Quote
Like
Share