Was the F4D Skyray ever mentioned as Low Observable?

Was the F4D Skyray ever mentioned as Low Observable?

December 19th, 2014, 7:02 pm #1

I imagine that big tail more or less ruined the Skyray's RCS, but other than that it seems that the design looks kinda flying wing-ish. Anybody recall any notes or comments on the type's low observability?

Rick L.

December 21st, 2014, 10:10 pm #2

Probably not on the 'radarscreen' when it was designed. n/t

December 22nd, 2014, 4:30 am #3

I imagine that big tail more or less ruined the Skyray's RCS, but other than that it seems that the design looks kinda flying wing-ish. Anybody recall any notes or comments on the type's low observability?

Rick L.
Comment I read somewhere about the interceptor tasked F(AW)-3 unit on North Island. Apparently airline pilots started filing complaints about F4D's popping up in front of their noses in 70 degree climbs, so climb angles were flattened so they could be seen in the climb.

December 24th, 2014, 6:34 pm #4

I attended an air show at NAS Jacksonville, Fl. sometime in the late 1950's when the Blue Angels were flying the F11-F Grumman Tiger. Early in the air show an F4D screamed down the runway and took off almost straight up. The show announcer identified the plane and said it was headed to NAS Oceana in Virginia. Less than an hour later he announced that the plane had landed safely at Oceana. A very fast flight.

The Skyray has always been one of my favorite Navy birds.

Here's my Tamiya 1/48th kit.

December 25th, 2014, 11:04 am #5

And superb markings. Your example looks excellent.
Merry Christmas, Happy New Year