Warbird flights

Warbird flights

March 19th, 2017, 10:57 pm #1

The Collings Foundation is flying their B-17, B-24 and B-25 into my area in a couple of weeks. I want to do a flight and I'm torn which aircraft to choose so....

Which would you pick?

And no i can't do all three or i'll end up having to buy new living room and bedroom furniture to even things out.

March 19th, 2017, 11:17 pm #2

B-25 (and a better view for pitcher-takin'). On the other hand, 4 engines are better than only two. My .02
Last edited by craigindaytona on March 20th, 2017, 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 19th, 2017, 11:31 pm #3

The Collings Foundation is flying their B-17, B-24 and B-25 into my area in a couple of weeks. I want to do a flight and I'm torn which aircraft to choose so....

Which would you pick?

And no i can't do all three or i'll end up having to buy new living room and bedroom furniture to even things out.
the P-51 flight where you get to actually fly the plane.

March 19th, 2017, 11:31 pm #4

Which would you pick?

I did the B-24 with my Dad years ago, and here's why we choose the B-24. It's only one of 2 flying, and the CAF plane doesn't tour the whole country. There are what, 12 B-17s flying?, and more opportunities down the line to fly in one of those.

During the flight, you can travel the whole aircraft (or at least you could a few years ago, don't know if it has changed). We sat in the waist area for take off and landing, but once airborne, were able to go nose to tail. I don't think you can do that in the B-25, not sure about the B-17.

I figure if god forbid the B-24 is ever grounded, or crashes, at least I had the opportunity to fly in one.

If I might make another suggestion. Enjoy the flight, don't live it through your camera. I took a number of pics, and then put my camera away, and lived the experience through my eyes, not through my camera. I couldn't believe the number of guys on the flight that spent the whole time filming through their camera, rather than looking around and taking it all in...

I highly recommend it though, it was quite the experience.

Charlie
Last edited by cdunton on March 19th, 2017, 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 19th, 2017, 11:33 pm #5

Yes, in the B-17 you get to walk throughout the plane, except for the tail gun...
Last edited by he280 on March 19th, 2017, 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 20th, 2017, 12:36 am #6

Which would you pick?

I did the B-17 one day, and the B24 the next day. Both flights were well worth the money.

In the B-17 you're free to roam the aircraft (after takeoff) from the waist area to the nose compartment, and on the B-24 you can go from the tail turret (you can't climb into it, but you can look thru it from the access door) up to the nose compartment (and you can't get into the nose turret either). The B-17 has the better viewing experience in the nose compartment, due to the large nose bubble, while the B-24's view from the nose is limited by the turret; the view thru the bombardier's window is downward.

The B-24 has the better experience in the waist section due to it's open waist windows. Neither plane allows access to the ball turret. The B-17 has the open hatch in the radio compartment roof.

The B-17's bomb bay is a shorter crossing than the B-24's. The crossing of the B-24's bomb bay is also somewhat tighter, so if you're a big guy...

Expect to do some crawling to get into either nose compartment. The B-17 is a bit easier; it's a short crawl under the cockpit. The B-24 is a longer, tighter crawl under the cockpit; on the way you'll pass the nose gear which isn't divided from the rest of the interior by any walls.

Some people wear earplugs during the flights; I didn't as wanted to experience that wonderful, glorious radial engine music uninhibited. They aren't really that loud. The B-25 is said to be extremely loud inside, so that one may be earplug worthy; hopefully I'll find out firsthand someday.

As already mentioned by Charlie D. the B-24 is the rarer of the two, so flight opportunities in one are also rarer. Whichever plane you choose, soak up every bit of the experience. It will give you even more respect for the guys that went to war in them.

March 20th, 2017, 1:28 am #7

Which would you pick?

I vote for the B-24, it is a sexy aircraft and would be pretty cool to ride in.

March 20th, 2017, 2:30 am #8

Which would you pick?

fly them all. If furniture is out of the question, then I'd personally pick the B-17 as it's one of my favorites. However I agree that the B-24 inventory is very limited so that may be a good reason to choose it.

GW

March 20th, 2017, 2:50 am #9

Which would you pick?

March 20th, 2017, 3:13 am #10

the P-51 flight where you get to actually fly the plane.
SO....instead, I went down the tarmac a hundred yards and went into www.warbirdadventures.com and took their T-6 ride ($400/hr with stick time - I see now the price has doubled). Loved it so much, I went back a few months later and did it again - in a different T-6 (see my avatar). And again a few months after that - in yet another T-6 (they have 4 - or they did then). I think I may owe myself one more ride. However, after checking the Mustang's website www.stallion51.com I can only assume their price has increased substantially as well -
I notice they don't post the amount on the site any longer..guess I need a winning lottery ticket now - sigh.
Last edited by craigindaytona on March 20th, 2017, 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.