Warbird crash in California?

Warbird crash in California?

May 19th, 2012, 1:31 am #1

5/18/12

Fox News is running a crawl at the bottom of the screen stating that a Hawker Hunter has crashed in California. Pilot reported killed, not known if Navy or Civillian. The crawl stated that the aircraft took off from the naval facility in Ventura County (would that be Point Mugu?) and crashed outside Camarillo. Has anyone seen any more detail on this?

TIA,

Horton

May 19th, 2012, 1:39 am #2

I know they operate them. I see them from time to time while out working. Here is one I saw working with an A-4 while down in JAX.

Brandon

Last edited by Bravosierra001 on May 19th, 2012, 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 19th, 2012, 2:42 am #3

5/18/12

Fox News is running a crawl at the bottom of the screen stating that a Hawker Hunter has crashed in California. Pilot reported killed, not known if Navy or Civillian. The crawl stated that the aircraft took off from the naval facility in Ventura County (would that be Point Mugu?) and crashed outside Camarillo. Has anyone seen any more detail on this?

TIA,

Horton
There's a crater in a farm field near here where it impacted, between Camarillo and Pt. Mugu, if I'm seeing it correctly.

May 19th, 2012, 2:43 am #4

5/18/12

TIA,

Horton
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/1 ... 28487.html

May 19th, 2012, 5:26 am #5

Yikes, two of the company's pilots and jets lost in as many months! nt.

May 19th, 2012, 5:37 am #6

And an L-39 Albatross crashed in the Southern Nevada desert after taking off from the Boulder City Airport this afternoon, too!

May 19th, 2012, 12:17 pm #7

5/18/12

TIA,

Horton
They are based out of Williamsburg International Airport in NN about 10 miles from where I live. They are a terrific bunch of guys and its a real shame to see this type of thing. During the summer I always see their Kfirs, Hunters, Skyhawk and occasionally a Starfighter fly over the house. They usually have their aircraft on display at the local airshows.

May 19th, 2012, 8:06 pm #8

5/18/12

TIA,

Horton
I read in the local newspaper that the plane caught fire and was coming apart in flight before it crashed. Apparently there was an eye witness. I am just curious as to why doesn't the military use their own aircraft for this type of exercise? We used to have aggressor squadrons such as VA126, VA127, Marines 401 Snipers and the AF Red Flag. These airplanes are already paid for. Is it cheaper for a contractor to run their planes or the military who already have the fuel etc. to run them. Why use contractors? I worked for the US Navy for over 25 years. And why did the Navy use such old aircraft? The hawker was from the 1950's? Why not use newer aircraft instead of vintage warbirds that should be in a museum or flying in airshows? It saddens me that this poor pilot died for what? I don't get it!Thank you for letting me vent on this subject.