Voodoo puzzlement

Voodoo puzzlement

June 2nd, 2012, 9:53 pm #1

I found this post card on a site called Card Cow while looking for info on Air Proving Ground Command/Center aircraft. It's a USAF photo of the Eglin ramp. There are a couple of QF-104As up the ramp, a B-47 (drone?), a C-130, a B-57E target tow aircraft, and a couple of T-33s beyond the hangars. What has me stumped is the F-101 about mid-way up on the left side (arrow). It sure looks like it is painted red. I've never heard of any Voodoo drones, so does anyone have any ideas about its markings or mission?

I've been googling variations of F-101 and Voodoo (really interesting listings!) without getting any closer to this aircraft.

EDIT: Time frame - The postcard write-up espouses the virtues of Air Proving Ground CENTER. Air Proving Ground Command became Air Proving Ground Center in 1957 (didn't have to change the acronym). APGC became the Air Force Development Test Center in 1968. By 1965 there should at least be a Phantom or two on the line, but then, the resolution stinks. I'd guess that this is very early 1960s.

Sven
Old Viper Tester
Last edited by Fantomtoo on June 2nd, 2012, 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 2nd, 2012, 10:45 pm #2

Google Lark One Canada and see what you think. It had a red fuselage and wings so maybe that's it. I can't really tell from the pic though.

Just an idea. Cool photo by the way!

Cheers, Corbin

June 2nd, 2012, 11:08 pm #3

in 1984-85. I put the photo between 1960 and 1964 (see OP edit), which pre-dates Lark One by a good 20 years. Good put though since I don't think any of my searches even raised Lark One, or many of the Canadian Voodoos for that matter.

Sven
Old Viper Tester

June 3rd, 2012, 12:18 am #4

Google Lark One Canada and see what you think. It had a red fuselage and wings so maybe that's it. I can't really tell from the pic though.

Just an idea. Cool photo by the way!

Cheers, Corbin

June 3rd, 2012, 12:45 am #5

I found this post card on a site called Card Cow while looking for info on Air Proving Ground Command/Center aircraft. It's a USAF photo of the Eglin ramp. There are a couple of QF-104As up the ramp, a B-47 (drone?), a C-130, a B-57E target tow aircraft, and a couple of T-33s beyond the hangars. What has me stumped is the F-101 about mid-way up on the left side (arrow). It sure looks like it is painted red. I've never heard of any Voodoo drones, so does anyone have any ideas about its markings or mission?

I've been googling variations of F-101 and Voodoo (really interesting listings!) without getting any closer to this aircraft.

EDIT: Time frame - The postcard write-up espouses the virtues of Air Proving Ground CENTER. Air Proving Ground Command became Air Proving Ground Center in 1957 (didn't have to change the acronym). APGC became the Air Force Development Test Center in 1968. By 1965 there should at least be a Phantom or two on the line, but then, the resolution stinks. I'd guess that this is very early 1960s.

Sven
Old Viper Tester
http://www.flickr.com/photos/n747ge/6058027264/

June 3rd, 2012, 2:18 am #6

Sven
Old Viper Tester
"Was used at Eglin AFB, Fla. in about 1955 to test a Mach 1.5 to target for weapons firing at altitudes up to 65,000ft.......This remarkable Voodoo was painted Orange on its upper surfaces and natural metal on the lower side with a back radome."
Quote from Osprey Air Combat McDonnell F-101 Voodoo.by Robert F. Dorr.
There is also a black and white photo that appears to support the text.

June 3rd, 2012, 2:21 am #7

book on the Voodoo.

June 3rd, 2012, 2:42 am #8

Sven
Old Viper Tester
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Canada-- ... 43caa2d12b

June 3rd, 2012, 3:09 am #9

"Was used at Eglin AFB, Fla. in about 1955 to test a Mach 1.5 to target for weapons firing at altitudes up to 65,000ft.......This remarkable Voodoo was painted Orange on its upper surfaces and natural metal on the lower side with a back radome."
Quote from Osprey Air Combat McDonnell F-101 Voodoo.by Robert F. Dorr.
There is also a black and white photo that appears to support the text.
The one in the Warpaint book is 53-2438, and was at Tyndall. I'm sure they all rotated around as needed.

June 3rd, 2012, 7:25 pm #10

Sven
Old Viper Tester
NMF (maybe), old dayglo faded to yellow, new bright dayglo (or is it red?). I'd like to see some better photos of that one.

Tank: So what do you need? Besides a miracle.
Neo: Guns. Lots of guns.