Volkswaffe Fini....................

April 29th, 2010, 9:43 pm #1

I have to have SOME fun, don't I?
Mr. Hobby kit of the 1956 Beetle and Airfix kit of the Bf-109E, both 1/24 scale to replicate the famous secret Volkswaffe aircraft of WWII. This build represents the 1939-1940 version.
If you haven't already or even if you have , look at this vid so you know where we are at...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk52tDKELdQ

Belts were fashioned from yogurt cup foil with brass wire buckles.

I molded up four Messerschmitt wheels and cast those along with my own tires.

I added the glazing from sheet styrene.

Port, Starboard and Rear formation lights are tiny sequins in correct RLM colors. De-ice boots (later to become running boards) painted black. Yet another ground breaking Volkswaffe contribution to modern day science is the dual transmit and receive antenna on the roof that is the actual source for the term "Beetle" added from brass wire.

High performance, low restriction exhaust system as close as possible to original.

20mm cannon openings in cowling along with high altitude quartz headlamps. These were more often used for night time interceptions. Really.....they were.

Revi12 gun-sight modified from Airfix part. Instrument panel scratched from sheet styrene with epoxy gauges closely following recently discovered Volkswaffe data.

All accurate RLM nomenclature added in correct locations.

It's nice to have a little diversion like this now and again in model building, it helps remind us to keep it fun.

Now back to the very serious task of Airfixing the "Battle of Britain" for our Group Build.

Thanks,
Allan

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish
Last edited by Allan31 on April 29th, 2010, 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nice, Allan!

April 29th, 2010, 10:17 pm #2

I especially like the gun sight.

I'll be looking for it on I-5 around Seattle...

Well done, as usual.

Regards,

Dan From Tacoma, Washington USA

A footnote

April 29th, 2010, 10:46 pm #3

Mr. Hobby kit of the 1956 Beetle and Airfix kit of the Bf-109E, both 1/24 scale to replicate the famous secret Volkswaffe aircraft of WWII. This build represents the 1939-1940 version.
If you haven't already or even if you have , look at this vid so you know where we are at...

Port, Starboard and Rear formation lights are tiny sequins in correct RLM colors. De-ice boots (later to become running boards) painted black. Yet another ground breaking Volkswaffe contribution to modern day science is the dual transmit and receive antenna on the roof that is the actual source for the term "Beetle" added from brass wire.

High performance, low restriction exhaust system as close as possible to original.

20mm cannon openings in cowling along with high altitude quartz headlamps. These were more often used for night time interceptions. Really.....they were.

Revi12 gun-sight modified from Airfix part. Instrument panel scratched from sheet styrene with epoxy gauges closely following recently discovered Volkswaffe data.

It's nice to have a little diversion like this now and again in model building, it helps remind us to keep it fun.

Now back to the very serious task of Airfixing the "Battle of Britain" for our Group Build.

Thanks,
Allan

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

I think one of them was recovered from a marsh just outside Dusseldorf and used as a stunt car in the chase scenes in "Bullitt". Obviously, resprayed in RLM71 all over...

Good stuff Alan...........................

April 29th, 2010, 11:11 pm #4

Thanks,
Allan

I will admit, at the beginning of this build I got rather excited by the prospect of watching YOU build a 109 in a scale that I thrive on! Even though I was a little disappointed when I realized the REAL direction you were going in, I now see how much fun you have had and appreciate the effort you have gone to! It really has turned out to be "almost" believable? GREAT stuff Alan. The camo job looks fantastic and I love what you did with the interior, especially the Instruments and the guns.

Cheers.

Andrew

That is just crazy. You sir, are a hoot! nt

April 29th, 2010, 11:21 pm #5

Thanks,
Allan

When in evil company,try to blend in.-Wild Bill Donovan

Sigh......................

April 29th, 2010, 11:57 pm #6

Thanks,
Allan

um...where's the rearview mirror?

Lovely Allan.

April 30th, 2010, 12:22 am #7

Thanks,
Allan

Thanks so much for sharing this, its been a joy to watch over your shoulder, great laugh, brilliant result.

Cheers

Jim

Hi Susan...

April 30th, 2010, 12:47 am #8

um...where's the rearview mirror?
...and where's the dice hanging from it?

Cheers,

Jorge.
Last edited by JorgeFigari on April 30th, 2010, 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terrific Allan!

April 30th, 2010, 12:49 am #9

Thanks,
Allan

First class job. Amazing idea. Brilliant execution.

I love it!

Jorge.
Last edited by JorgeFigari on April 30th, 2010, 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

That is really brilliant Allan!

April 30th, 2010, 12:56 am #10

Thanks,
Allan

Talk about a 'make-over'..... Great combination of and imaginative use of parts. But by now, we all know what a talent you are. I hope you realize how much entertainment you have supplied the rest of us boring modellers with this one

Cheers, Vic