Visiting New York

Visiting New York

May 26th, 2012, 12:54 pm #1

Any hints/recommendations for modelling related stuff - shops, books, visits - in New York. I've most of a day in between flights to/from Newark International. I'm aware of Intrepid and will probably get the train in to Penn St.

May 26th, 2012, 1:05 pm #2

I work in the city. There are no hobby shops worth going to. The best bookstore in the city is The Strand. They have a HUGE military history section.

May 26th, 2012, 3:40 pm #3

Any hints/recommendations for modelling related stuff - shops, books, visits - in New York. I've most of a day in between flights to/from Newark International. I'm aware of Intrepid and will probably get the train in to Penn St.
The only hobby store of any significance at all is Jan's, and you really shouldn't waste your time - it's on the Upper East Side, which isn't easy to get to from Newark, and once you get there you will just find over-priced kits with a very non-helpful staff. Nothing to see there. There was once at least one good hobby shop (Ace) and one good book shop (Sky) - sadly, they are gone.

You are right to head to the Intrepid - fantastic place to visit. Other than that, you have a huge amount of non-hobby related things to do. Enjoy the city!

Paul

May 26th, 2012, 5:48 pm #4

... we date ourselves by speaking of them.
Pretty sad for what styles itself "The Greatest City in the World"

May 26th, 2012, 6:07 pm #5

Ha! You call that dated? How about "Polks" in Manhatten for dated! :) n/t

May 26th, 2012, 6:15 pm #6

True enough :o) Something different on each of the five floors n/t

May 26th, 2012, 7:16 pm #7

... we date ourselves by speaking of them.
Pretty sad for what styles itself "The Greatest City in the World"
if you're white and wealthy. And shallow.

I can recall travelling there frequently with my family in the 1970's and '80's, and a I actually prefer the older, dirtier, more dangerous city; it was more colorful and more diverse, and full of unique things to do and see. In the last twenty years the city's become more stable, cleaner, and safer, but it's also become more regimented and less special. Especially in the last fifteen years, it's come to resemble an expensive retail Disneyland for affluent whites. I know you have to "take the good with the bad", and the cleaner subways, somewhat safer streets, and absence of "squeegee men" are for the better (unless, of course, you are a squeegee man), but I miss the colorful city where eccentrics and stiffs, financiers and prophets, and madmen and saints lived cheek-by-jowl.

I still have happy memories, though, of places like Polk's, Ace, Skybooks, The Cockpit (long before it went hip-hop and when you could still buy a NOS ANH-15 for $25), Trinity Bookstore, and CBGB, and the panoply of other, small places that offered interesting people to meet, and goods and experiences not to be found anywhere else. Sadly, little of that remains.

May 26th, 2012, 7:34 pm #8

... just white and shallow
But I know what you're talking about.

Remember Moondog?

May 27th, 2012, 5:26 am #9

I went last November for a week with my wife ,and being a keen modeller was eager to find some hobby stores .After posting a request on this very forum the answers were the same as the replies you have received.I did walk up to Jans Hobbies store at the top end of Lexington,quite a yomp from 7th Ave ,I found this to be well stocked but only ended up buying some Polly Scale paints,the guy in there seemed a little surly.I also found Red Caboose hobbies just of 5th ave ,35th or 36th st if memory serves me correctly,I found this to be a very comprehensive type of store catering for all aspects of our hobby ,the owner seemed a nice guy too,I ended up buying some 1.32 scale trucks which can be hard to find in the UK,hope you enjoy you trip.