Vintage sealed kits: Value?

Vintage sealed kits: Value?

July 24th, 2012, 1:09 am #1

Sorry if this might be a bit off topic, but I acquired a bunch of sealed kits at an estate sale. Most are WW1 aircraft and many are 1950's and 1960's vintage Aurora kits. Also have some Revell, Minicraft/Hasegawa and Monogram kits. Again, most are WW1 and some are between wars aircraft. All still sealed in factory wrap.

Generally, is there much value in these kits?

July 24th, 2012, 1:36 am #2

Go on eBay, go on the Net looking for sales of those particular kits by dealers, maybe even hit the next big contest to see what the vendors are selling. What's being asked and what that same thing is selling for are often two different things, and auctions have a way of trapping lightning in a bottle--the result might be unusually high or low.

Every kit is different, irrespective of age, because the secondary market is fickle. So a blanket answer is impossible, even if you named all the kits. The other issue is realizing the supposed value. It takes work. Everyone wants a bargain, at your expense.

"Don't take your life too seriously, son. At the end of it, you won't be alive anyway."

Red Skelton's mother

July 24th, 2012, 1:47 am #3

Sorry if this might be a bit off topic, but I acquired a bunch of sealed kits at an estate sale. Most are WW1 aircraft and many are 1950's and 1960's vintage Aurora kits. Also have some Revell, Minicraft/Hasegawa and Monogram kits. Again, most are WW1 and some are between wars aircraft. All still sealed in factory wrap.

...and how you market each. My father collected scale model aircraft from the 60s through the 80s. A few thousand kits were in his "stash" when he passed away. Aurora, Frog, Williams Brothers, etc etc and all the manufacturers from today. I stored them through th 90s and started parting with them in 2010 on eBay. It was not worth the hassle. Only certain kits have value - searches on eBay will teach you plastic scale models are not that collectable. I ended up giving it all to my sister who had the time and energy to sell them on eBay in small lots by scale and era. I kept the kits I wanted and started my own "stash". The differnece is I am building them - my Dad just collected them. The value for me is in the memories. Good luck!

July 24th, 2012, 2:16 am #4

From a buyer perspective a sealed kit can be either a plus or a big negative. Over the years I've bought some sealed kits only to open them and discover the contents had been exposed to some intense sun at some point and the parts warpage was serious.

Old Aurora kits etc have a value but it's not a real "collector" thing in the sense of hundreds or thousands of dollars per kit. If you want appreciating antique items buy jewellery or Tiffany lamps. Plastic model kits are rarely worth more than a few bucks. As a collector items they have little inherent collector value other than to a very small band of highly focussed kit collectors.

That said someone out there may be super keen if you had an Aurora Sopwith Triplane or a DH.10. On the other hand Wingnut Wings is doing state of the art 1/32 kits of subjects like the Sopwith which must also impact on demand for something 50+ years old.

As someone interested in these kits it comes down almost to individual kits and their value rather than a general value.

I'm not too interested in paying collector dollars for old Aurora models but if you had some of the old Pyro/ Inpact models of pre WW1 aircraft then I would be interested to know what you have and what you would regard as a fair price. This is a serious question to you. I'm interested but not at "collector prices."

Bleriot XI, Deperdussin, Avro Biplane, Bristol Boxkit, Avro Triplane....all good kits , so worth a fair price. Check collector websites for their prices then subtract from that to find the real ( i.e. model makers) value of them.

kind regards

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

July 24th, 2012, 2:35 am #5

By no means am I looking to make a killing on these. I figure $10 or $20 would probably be the most they'd be worth.

Having said that, the only research I've done up to now is Ebay. Although almost everything I found were not sealed kits. That's where the big question for me was. I really don't want to put them on Ebay. I figure the cost of the kits isn't worth the trouble.

As for what I have, I'll post a list later this week or so when I get time.

Thanks for everyone's input so far.

July 24th, 2012, 2:38 am #6

From a buyer perspective a sealed kit can be either a plus or a big negative. Over the years I've bought some sealed kits only to open them and discover the contents had been exposed to some intense sun at some point and the parts warpage was serious.

Old Aurora kits etc have a value but it's not a real "collector" thing in the sense of hundreds or thousands of dollars per kit. If you want appreciating antique items buy jewellery or Tiffany lamps. Plastic model kits are rarely worth more than a few bucks. As a collector items they have little inherent collector value other than to a very small band of highly focussed kit collectors.

That said someone out there may be super keen if you had an Aurora Sopwith Triplane or a DH.10. On the other hand Wingnut Wings is doing state of the art 1/32 kits of subjects like the Sopwith which must also impact on demand for something 50+ years old.

As someone interested in these kits it comes down almost to individual kits and their value rather than a general value.

I'm not too interested in paying collector dollars for old Aurora models but if you had some of the old Pyro/ Inpact models of pre WW1 aircraft then I would be interested to know what you have and what you would regard as a fair price. This is a serious question to you. I'm interested but not at "collector prices."

Bleriot XI, Deperdussin, Avro Biplane, Bristol Boxkit, Avro Triplane....all good kits , so worth a fair price. Check collector websites for their prices then subtract from that to find the real ( i.e. model makers) value of them.

kind regards

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
One of the kits is a Sopwith Triplane Black Maria.

July 24th, 2012, 2:41 am #7

I certainly was not suggesting you were aiming at charging excessive prices for your kits, I was offering a very general comment.

Your prices of between $10 and $20 sound quite fair to me and yes, I'm interested.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

July 24th, 2012, 2:48 am #8

to shrink wrap model kits.

Folded cello like Aurora and others used in the 50s, that's harder to fake. Faded/yellowed price stickers would also be plus. Except for a few in demand old kits, prob wouldn't be worth the trouble to fake a sealed 50 yr old kit.

I'm sure most expect a sealed kit to remain sealed. That's part of the 'value', so fakes may not be exposed for many yrs/owners down the line.

A friend opened a sealed/mint (non-cello, shrink wrapped) kit and found sprues/parts from 3-4 kits to add weight and noise when shaken. Seller on eBay plead innocence (could be) and refunded price but not return post. So in the end my bud was still out 8-10 bucks w/ nothing to show for it but a story.

July 24th, 2012, 2:53 am #9

kind regards

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
These usually go for $10.00 to $20.00 Hardest one to find is the Bleriot and still it is max only a $20.00 kit.

I collect Aurora, what ya got?

July 24th, 2012, 2:55 am #10

to shrink wrap model kits.

Folded cello like Aurora and others used in the 50s, that's harder to fake. Faded/yellowed price stickers would also be plus. Except for a few in demand old kits, prob wouldn't be worth the trouble to fake a sealed 50 yr old kit.

I'm sure most expect a sealed kit to remain sealed. That's part of the 'value', so fakes may not be exposed for many yrs/owners down the line.

A friend opened a sealed/mint (non-cello, shrink wrapped) kit and found sprues/parts from 3-4 kits to add weight and noise when shaken. Seller on eBay plead innocence (could be) and refunded price but not return post. So in the end my bud was still out 8-10 bucks w/ nothing to show for it but a story.
In my case, some of the kits do have price stikers on them. Many of them say .75 each.

I'm trying my best to be careful with them, but it's being very difficult to handle them without the price stickers falling off.