Vintage kit price help!

Vintage kit price help!

May 16th, 2012, 4:24 pm #1

Hey guys, my boss unloaded about a dozen kits on me today, knowing Im a modeller. I want to take them to my local model club but I have no idea what they're worth. Theyre all ancient Airfix and Revell kits, and I looked at Ebay prices and they seem way higher than I thought, are these really worth more than a few bucks each? Thanks for any input. Scales are weird, sorry I didnt write them down.

Revell B-36
Airfix DH Comet 4b
Airfix BAC-111
Airfix F-111
Revell 707 Astrojet
Airfix British Airways VC-10
Revell DC-10
Matchbox Hawker-Siddeley 125/600
Revell DC-8
Airfix DC-9
Airfix Boeing 707
Il-18
Airfix Clipper 314

May 16th, 2012, 4:29 pm #2

I would let the club offer what they want. They are free and no money out of your pocket.

If you are selling to make a profit, it depends on many factors, condition, decals. A little hard to put a price on something without a visual of the kit.

May 16th, 2012, 4:47 pm #3

Hey guys, my boss unloaded about a dozen kits on me today, knowing Im a modeller. I want to take them to my local model club but I have no idea what they're worth. Theyre all ancient Airfix and Revell kits, and I looked at Ebay prices and they seem way higher than I thought, are these really worth more than a few bucks each? Thanks for any input. Scales are weird, sorry I didnt write them down.

Revell B-36
Airfix DH Comet 4b
Airfix BAC-111
Airfix F-111
Revell 707 Astrojet
Revell DC-10
Revell DC-8
Airfix DC-9
Airfix Boeing 707
Il-18
Airfix Clipper 314
The Revell box scale B-36 goes for about $25 in the later Air Power boxing but can bring $100 in a first box issue. Same with the other kits. Most of the Airfix and Revell kits listed are not rare or valuable.

May 16th, 2012, 5:00 pm #4

Revell B-36
Airfix DH Comet 4b
Airfix BAC-111
Airfix F-111
Revell 707 Astrojet
Revell DC-10
Revell DC-8
Airfix DC-9
Airfix Boeing 707
Il-18
Airfix Clipper 314
n/t.

Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise might be merely a vulgar brawl.

May 16th, 2012, 5:42 pm #5

I would let the club offer what they want. They are free and no money out of your pocket.

If you are selling to make a profit, it depends on many factors, condition, decals. A little hard to put a price on something without a visual of the kit.
And he's expecting the best money he can get for them lol. Puts pressure on me to get as much as I can.

May 16th, 2012, 6:43 pm #6

Revell B-36
Airfix DH Comet 4b
Airfix BAC-111
Airfix F-111
Revell 707 Astrojet
Revell DC-10
Revell DC-8
Airfix DC-9
Airfix Boeing 707
Il-18
Airfix Clipper 314
If he gave them to you that is a heck of a nice boss. If he gave them to you to sell for him at the best price that is kinda a typical Doosh boss move? So which is it?

If he gave them to you to sell then I would just list em on Ebay. Give him the Ebay invoice when you get it and the money you make from the auctions. Of course minus the inconvenience fee's

Cheers,

Max Bryant

"You'll Love My Wingnuts!"

May 16th, 2012, 6:49 pm #7

Revell B-36
Airfix DH Comet 4b
Airfix BAC-111
Airfix F-111
Revell 707 Astrojet
Revell DC-10
Revell DC-8
Airfix DC-9
Airfix Boeing 707
Il-18
Airfix Clipper 314
As an example, the first issue B-36 could be worth more than $100, if it was in excellent condition. The collectors that buy these usually are not interested in building them, they are buying them for nostalgia, and display purposes. Some, also think they are making an investment, like buying a rare bottle of wine, or an antique car.

Their hobby is collecting, not building, and some are willing to pay big bucks for what they want. Can you imagine how difficult it is to find an unopened box of anything that was made way back in 1955?

May 16th, 2012, 7:15 pm #8

If he gave them to you that is a heck of a nice boss. If he gave them to you to sell for him at the best price that is kinda a typical Doosh boss move? So which is it?

If he gave them to you to sell then I would just list em on Ebay. Give him the Ebay invoice when you get it and the money you make from the auctions. Of course minus the inconvenience fee's

Cheers,

Max Bryant

"You'll Love My Wingnuts!"
I dont want to deal with the hassles of Ebay either

May 16th, 2012, 9:38 pm #9

EBay is the least of your hassles.

Maximum price can only come from maximum exposure--taking this stuff to a club might result in relatively few offers, and I doubt any of the offers would compare to EBay sales prices.

"Don't take your life too seriously, son. At the end of it, you won't be alive anyway."

Red Skelton's mother

May 16th, 2012, 10:58 pm #10

Go ebay. I collect pre-1965 Revell and Monogram kits. The actual issue of the kit, and more importantly, condition (inside and out) will determine what you'll get. One thing I run into when buying kits are people who think just because it's old it's worth a lot.