Vickers Tank Pt.5 - Almost There

Vickers Tank Pt.5 - Almost There

September 16th, 2009, 3:16 am #1

Apologies for the tardy update, folks, but life laid on a bad case of modelus interruptus lately! The interior hull of our tiny Vickers has been sprayed flat white, washed with a light coat of Tamiya flat black acrylic, and Roland the Brave tank driver has had his butt super-glued in place:

The hull has been closed up, and the track guards installed after thinning down the edges by bevelling them with a knife blade. The kit mounting brackets for the track guards were sliced off and replaced with thinly-cut bits of sheet styrene. They look a tad thick in the photos, but trust me - they're as thin as I could manage 'em without the teeny bits scattering across the bench with even the slightest breath:

The track guards and mounting brackets got the same treatment on the other side of the hull. The engine breather unit - at least I think that's what it is - looked the part and was installed after some slight thinning of the plastic:

The kit did not include the small tow lugs on the rear of the hull. It took me six tries to get these two right because my sleeve kept brushing the tiny bits into the maw of the carpet monster:

The front tow lugs were also installed. Easy enough - drill 2 small holes at either end of an appropriately-thin strip of sheet styrene, round the edges with sandpaper, and slice them off the strip:

The hull, turret, tracks and hatches are all done and ready for the next step: Paint!
Best...Ted...

September 16th, 2009, 4:29 am #2

Andrew

September 16th, 2009, 5:30 am #3

Apologies for the tardy update, folks, but life laid on a bad case of modelus interruptus lately! The interior hull of our tiny Vickers has been sprayed flat white, washed with a light coat of Tamiya flat black acrylic, and Roland the Brave tank driver has had his butt super-glued in place:

The hull has been closed up, and the track guards installed after thinning down the edges by bevelling them with a knife blade. The kit mounting brackets for the track guards were sliced off and replaced with thinly-cut bits of sheet styrene. They look a tad thick in the photos, but trust me - they're as thin as I could manage 'em without the teeny bits scattering across the bench with even the slightest breath:

The track guards and mounting brackets got the same treatment on the other side of the hull. The engine breather unit - at least I think that's what it is - looked the part and was installed after some slight thinning of the plastic:

The kit did not include the small tow lugs on the rear of the hull. It took me six tries to get these two right because my sleeve kept brushing the tiny bits into the maw of the carpet monster:

The front tow lugs were also installed. Easy enough - drill 2 small holes at either end of an appropriately-thin strip of sheet styrene, round the edges with sandpaper, and slice them off the strip:

The hull, turret, tracks and hatches are all done and ready for the next step: Paint!
Best...Ted...
I cannot wait to see the final product!

September 16th, 2009, 7:38 pm #4

Best...Ted...
Thanks,
Allan

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish

September 16th, 2009, 7:58 pm #5

Best...Ted...
Great detail and attention to the extras. I really like the driver in there. Can't wait to see it done.

Keep posting!

Regards,

Dan From Tacoma, Washington USA

September 17th, 2009, 9:10 am #6

It just makes it feel your own adding these little details.
Question is when to stop? Great progress on that little beast

Ils sont fous ces mod�liste!

September 18th, 2009, 1:29 am #7

Best...Ted...
Hey guys - I really appreciate all your comments - many thanks for looking! This has really been a fun build. Allan: Okay Okay - first layer of paint is going on tonight!! BTW - did you get the torp?
Best! Ted!

September 21st, 2009, 1:02 am #8

Best...Ted...
How about having a No 11 blade in your next post so we can get a better idea of its size.

Thanks for posting.

Cheers, Vic

September 21st, 2009, 2:37 am #9

It's tiny, alright! I'll definitely include a No.11 blade in the next post. You're right - that'll be an instantly recognizable scale to any modeller! First layer of paint is on, now I'm masking for the camo job and next layer will likely go on tomorrow. Stay tuned!
Best...Ted...