Vickers Tank Pt.4

Vickers Tank Pt.4

September 3rd, 2009, 3:30 am #1

Man, I can't believe the great stuff being posted here. I regret being away from it so long. I finally had the chance to get back at the Vickers tank. In our last episode, dear listeners, we had finished off the turret and started on some interior detail:

I added some bent-wire tiller bars and a stretched-sprue shift lever inside:

Roland our intrepid tank driver is sporting a new uniform of Humbrol khaki with masking tape webbing of Tamiya Buff. He seems a good fit:

The engine cover has a lifting lever that on the kit part actually looks okay. But it kept bothering me, so I hacked it off and scratched a new lever from 005 thou card:

I got a start on some new driver hatch covers. The bottom piece, when open, is just a bare plate according to the reference photos I have:

The other side of the plate has some metal reinforcing strips:

But the reinforcement strips are barely visible on the model:

The commander figure is an HO scale engineer I found in the spares box. The head was way too small, so off it came, replaced with one from (I think) a figure from the Hasegawa Churchill Mk.1 kit. He got the same uniform treatment as our friend Roland:

You can see on the hull plate an unfinished bit from the upper driver's hatch, with a new visor plate cobbled together from styrene sheet:

Well, that's today's update. Hope you enjoy!
Best! Ted!

September 3rd, 2009, 5:00 am #2

Excellent work so far!!!

September 3rd, 2009, 7:05 pm #3

Thanks Bob, been fun so far too! n/t

September 3rd, 2009, 9:01 pm #4

Man, I can't believe the great stuff being posted here. I regret being away from it so long. I finally had the chance to get back at the Vickers tank. In our last episode, dear listeners, we had finished off the turret and started on some interior detail:

Roland our intrepid tank driver is sporting a new uniform of Humbrol khaki with masking tape webbing of Tamiya Buff. He seems a good fit:

The engine cover has a lifting lever that on the kit part actually looks okay. But it kept bothering me, so I hacked it off and scratched a new lever from 005 thou card:

I got a start on some new driver hatch covers. The bottom piece, when open, is just a bare plate according to the reference photos I have:

The commander figure is an HO scale engineer I found in the spares box. The head was way too small, so off it came, replaced with one from (I think) a figure from the Hasegawa Churchill Mk.1 kit. He got the same uniform treatment as our friend Roland:

You can see on the hull plate an unfinished bit from the upper driver's hatch, with a new visor plate cobbled together from styrene sheet:

Best! Ted!
At my HobbyHaunt, there is no Airfix armour, LOL I just looked all over unless it is really hidden.
Your Vickers looks very 7TP-ish..

[/IMG]

Can't wait to see some paint on your build.

Thanks,
Allan

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish

September 4th, 2009, 4:44 pm #5

Thanks for the comments and the post, Allan. Nice little 7TP - great paint job! Yes, you can really see the Vickers lineage in a lot of 1930's armour. I keep toying with the idea of adding more 1930's armour kits to the stash, but my pile is already big and getting bigger. Hey, wait a minute - what am I complaining about. You've got a stash that could fill a warehouse!
Best...Ted...

September 10th, 2009, 5:45 am #6

Best! Ted!
Here is a pic of my Grandad, Sgt. Moran Francis Farrelly, in a Vickers at Camp Borden, Ontario.
He was an instructor in the tank school.

Cheers, Jon

Ideas are as cheap as blackberries! - Prof. Hugo Junkers

September 16th, 2009, 2:34 am #7

Wow - that's a terrific shot, Jon. Sorry I missed seeing it earlier - but daily life has a way of getting in the way of modelling (How dare it!), and regularly checking in at HyperScale. Man, I bet your Grandad had some great stories to tell!
Best...Ted...