Vickers Tank Pt.3

Vickers Tank Pt.3

August 24th, 2009, 3:49 am #1

My last post ended with the realization I had muffed up the guns for the Mk.VIc version, so I hacked 'em off and scratched some replacements. What was needed is a box structure around the Besa 15mm and the .303 machine gun. The structure is 10 thou sheet styrene, cut, fitted and sanded.:

I messed up this job using the original Airfix barrels, but I found a barrel assembly from an old Scimitar kit, and used that for the breeches the second time around. I added a stretched sprue barrel for the 15mm, but kept the original barrel from the Airfix .303 coaxial gun. I noticed from reference photos that the MkVIc had a square shaped panel on the side of the turret. I cut off the triangular shaped one and added the new square one:

The kit searchlight was drilled out, cut off its mount, and placed atop some bits of sheet cobbled together to form a new mount:

The smoke dischargers were drilled out on both ends, and bits of sprue were added for the wires running into the turret. I tried using armature wire for this, but the tiny bits proved beyond my hammy fingers, so it the sprue was substituted even though it looks over-sized:

Time to move on to the interior. I carefully test fitted the right side bulkhead, then added bits of sheet and sprue:

The inside edge of the back bulkhead is supposed to be a rounded shape, but after two tries, I couldn't manage it. I opted for the square shape, figuring not much will be seen inside once the driver figure is installed:

Roland the headless Vickers Driver now has a head, albeit one from that awful Airfix soft-plastic RAF ground crew set (I say awful because I find that soft-plastic extremely difficult to work with):

Okay, now this is starting to look like a tank:

Some sheet styrene was added along the left side bulkhead to replace what was lost when I cut out the hatch. The other strip on the right side bulkhead is a piece of metal on the tank that the hatch rests on when it's closed up:

Hey! Watch where you're pointing that thing! An Airfix ground crew figure (hard styrene - Yes!) from one of their RAF vehicle kits, added for scale. My, that's a tiny tank!

Hope y'all enjoy the post. More later!
Best! Ted...

August 24th, 2009, 3:57 am #2

posting more progress shots.

August 24th, 2009, 7:31 am #3

My last post ended with the realization I had muffed up the guns for the Mk.VIc version, so I hacked 'em off and scratched some replacements. What was needed is a box structure around the Besa 15mm and the .303 machine gun. The structure is 10 thou sheet styrene, cut, fitted and sanded.:

I messed up this job using the original Airfix barrels, but I found a barrel assembly from an old Scimitar kit, and used that for the breeches the second time around. I added a stretched sprue barrel for the 15mm, but kept the original barrel from the Airfix .303 coaxial gun. I noticed from reference photos that the MkVIc had a square shaped panel on the side of the turret. I cut off the triangular shaped one and added the new square one:

The kit searchlight was drilled out, cut off its mount, and placed atop some bits of sheet cobbled together to form a new mount:

The smoke dischargers were drilled out on both ends, and bits of sprue were added for the wires running into the turret. I tried using armature wire for this, but the tiny bits proved beyond my hammy fingers, so it the sprue was substituted even though it looks over-sized:

Time to move on to the interior. I carefully test fitted the right side bulkhead, then added bits of sheet and sprue:

The inside edge of the back bulkhead is supposed to be a rounded shape, but after two tries, I couldn't manage it. I opted for the square shape, figuring not much will be seen inside once the driver figure is installed:

Roland the headless Vickers Driver now has a head, albeit one from that awful Airfix soft-plastic RAF ground crew set (I say awful because I find that soft-plastic extremely difficult to work with):

Some sheet styrene was added along the left side bulkhead to replace what was lost when I cut out the hatch. The other strip on the right side bulkhead is a piece of metal on the tank that the hatch rests on when it's closed up:

Hey! Watch where you're pointing that thing! An Airfix ground crew figure (hard styrene - Yes!) from one of their RAF vehicle kits, added for scale. My, that's a tiny tank!

Best! Ted...
This is enthralling to watch. CHEERS!

Andrew

August 24th, 2009, 3:05 pm #4

Best! Ted...
Thats the way to stick plastic !!!
Sweet...

Thanks,
Allan

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish

August 24th, 2009, 4:55 pm #5

Best! Ted...
You really are showcasing some craftsmanship. Nice details and thanks for adding the figure for scale. Good idea!

Cheers

Regards,

Dan From Tacoma, Washington USA

August 24th, 2009, 5:39 pm #6

Best! Ted...
And this seems to be one of them! With few exceptions, everything I do with this kit just seems to fall into place. A real pleasure to build.
Many, many thanks for your compliments, fellas - they mean a lot coming from some of the finest miniature builders I've ever seen. To think I may be included in the company of such talent is humbling. I've learned a lot here, laughed a lot here, and have been absolutely amazed more times than I can count!

Best! Ted!

August 27th, 2009, 2:48 am #7

Best! Ted...
Looking great so far!