Vickers Tank Pt.2

Vickers Tank Pt.2

August 20th, 2009, 1:35 am #1

Okay, moving right along...I've got the putty cleaned up, the guns installed, and I've replaced the kit antenna mount with a piece of sheet, some armature wire running into the turret, and an antenna base using a piece from the original kit antenna:

The kit is missing the small viewing aperature on the mantlet right beside the guns. After drilling two small holes in some .010 thou sheet and then cutting and trimming between the holes, I trimmed it square. I then glued the piece to more .010 thou sheet, trimmed THAT square, and glued the works on the turret:

The kit piece representing the triangle-shaped panel on the side of the turret was over-sized, so I sanded it down until the lip on the kit part disappeared and glued that on:

After complaining I had virtually no reference material to work with, I was directed to Google Images (Thanks Allan Buttrick!) and found some great shots of a 1/35 scale resin Mk. VIc from Int'l Models of Asia (IMA):

Soooo...an interior we must have! Some minor surgery on the upper hull, for a start:

And Roland the Headless Vickers Driver (Tip o' the hat to Warren Zevon) to provide some interior scale:

Okay, now here's where things started to go wrong. Here are some other shots of the IMA Vickers:

Look at the guns. Now look at my guns again:

Blast und Dang! I completely overlooked how the guns are sheathed in metal housings distinctive to the Mk.VIc! Sheesh - HOW did I miss that? Okay, I've come this far, so there's only one thing to do. Hack 'em off and scratchbuild replacement guns:

More later!
Best...Ted...

August 20th, 2009, 4:15 am #2

The IMC photo I said was a Mk. VIc is actually a 'b' model. And the photos of the other resin kit isn't IMC at all - in fact, I don't remember which manufacturer it is.
Best...Ted...

August 20th, 2009, 8:07 pm #3

Okay, moving right along...I've got the putty cleaned up, the guns installed, and I've replaced the kit antenna mount with a piece of sheet, some armature wire running into the turret, and an antenna base using a piece from the original kit antenna:

The kit is missing the small viewing aperature on the mantlet right beside the guns. After drilling two small holes in some .010 thou sheet and then cutting and trimming between the holes, I trimmed it square. I then glued the piece to more .010 thou sheet, trimmed THAT square, and glued the works on the turret:

The kit piece representing the triangle-shaped panel on the side of the turret was over-sized, so I sanded it down until the lip on the kit part disappeared and glued that on:

After complaining I had virtually no reference material to work with, I was directed to Google Images (Thanks Allan Buttrick!) and found some great shots of a 1/35 scale resin Mk. VIc from Int'l Models of Asia (IMA):

Soooo...an interior we must have! Some minor surgery on the upper hull, for a start:

And Roland the Headless Vickers Driver (Tip o' the hat to Warren Zevon) to provide some interior scale:

Okay, now here's where things started to go wrong. Here are some other shots of the IMA Vickers:

Look at the guns. Now look at my guns again:

Blast und Dang! I completely overlooked how the guns are sheathed in metal housings distinctive to the Mk.VIc! Sheesh - HOW did I miss that? Okay, I've come this far, so there's only one thing to do. Hack 'em off and scratchbuild replacement guns:

More later!
Best...Ted...
Bravo that job, nice work.
I have the 88 with the Sd Kfz 7 I rescued and saving for when I get burned out on a/c...

Thanks,
Allan

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish

August 20th, 2009, 9:12 pm #4

...yeah, I guess I am going through an aircraft burnout right now myself, come to think of it. My last build was an Airfix tank as well. I just stare at the stash of aircraft kits and...stare. Can't get motivated to make a decision on what to build!

BTW - that 88 Airfix kit is a real classic! Had it as a kid, and I'm always tempted to pick it up when I see it in a catalogue or hobby shop!

Best! Ted!