Vickers Tank - Done and Done!

Vickers Tank - Done and Done!

October 7th, 2009, 2:13 am #1

Decals are on, a light weathering is complete and final fiddly bits added on. Colour this one done! An Airfix Vickers Light Tank Mk.VIc, Headquarters, 'B' Squadron, 9th Queen's Royal Lancers, 2nd Armoured Brigade, 1st Armoured Division, BEF France, June 1940. No.11 blade and motorcyclist (also Airfix!) added for scale:

The kit decals featured this same tank unit, but were undersized, the wrong shade of yellow and off register. I substituted the excellent Aleran decal sheets available from Milicast Models. That front hull is like an advertising billboard!:

Why the Squadron markings have a white triangle on them isn't known. They should all have the letters "HQ" as well, but the Aleran sheets had only two, so I used them on the turret sides. The other upper hull marking is the embarkation code, which has a black line through it on the kit decals, whereas it should be green. The small upper hatch spring on the side of the driver's compartment was added using a piece of guitar string:

The weathering looks a bit rough in these photos, but don't forget this is 1/72 scale and the tank looks okay from about 10 inches away!

The driver's mirror on the front hull is another piece of guitar string, with a teeny bit of sheet sprue glued on:

What a pleasant little build this was! My first WIP post, and many thanks to you HS comrades for your tips, encouragement, comments, and your fine posts, which are a constant source of amazement, glee, and ideas!!
Best...Ted...

October 7th, 2009, 2:35 am #2

This has been a fantastic series of WIP posts, and I have been fillowing it with great interest. The result is great, and the tonal differences between the Bronze Green and Medium Green look spot on. Excellent job.

I have been meaning to ask - does anyone know the provenance of this kit - was it originally a JB Models release?

Christopher

DH Vampire: Part I, Part II

Hawker Fury: Part I, Part II

DH Chipmunk: Part I, Part II, Part III, Part IV

AVRO Anson: Part I, Part II, Part III, Part IV, Part V, Part VI, Part VII, Part VIII, Part IX

Last edited by brochr on October 7th, 2009, 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
HPM Hobbies - Home of High Planes Models

http://www.hpmhobbies.com
https://www.facebook.com/HPMHobbies/

October 7th, 2009, 3:03 am #3

Decals are on, a light weathering is complete and final fiddly bits added on. Colour this one done! An Airfix Vickers Light Tank Mk.VIc, Headquarters, 'B' Squadron, 9th Queen's Royal Lancers, 2nd Armoured Brigade, 1st Armoured Division, BEF France, June 1940. No.11 blade and motorcyclist (also Airfix!) added for scale:

The kit decals featured this same tank unit, but were undersized, the wrong shade of yellow and off register. I substituted the excellent Aleran decal sheets available from Milicast Models. That front hull is like an advertising billboard!:

Why the Squadron markings have a white triangle on them isn't known. They should all have the letters "HQ" as well, but the Aleran sheets had only two, so I used them on the turret sides. The other upper hull marking is the embarkation code, which has a black line through it on the kit decals, whereas it should be green. The small upper hatch spring on the side of the driver's compartment was added using a piece of guitar string:

The weathering looks a bit rough in these photos, but don't forget this is 1/72 scale and the tank looks okay from about 10 inches away!

The driver's mirror on the front hull is another piece of guitar string, with a teeny bit of sheet sprue glued on:

What a pleasant little build this was! My first WIP post, and many thanks to you HS comrades for your tips, encouragement, comments, and your fine posts, which are a constant source of amazement, glee, and ideas!!
Best...Ted...
Nice job, Ted!

John

October 7th, 2009, 3:05 am #4

Best...Ted...
I still can't believe the model is so small. All the details trick my mind into thinking it HAS to be larger! Amazing job in such a small scale.

Glad you finished it and many, many thanks for posting all the pics here.

Congratulations on such a good looking model.

All the best,

Jorge.

October 7th, 2009, 6:22 am #5

Best...Ted...
Very nice detailed work and an enjoyable build to watch, n/t

October 7th, 2009, 8:00 am #6

Best...Ted...
... been watching this thread from the beginning. Great detail work on such a small model,I'd struggle to add that detail in 35th.

Neil

Jesus saves .... he passes to Moses, Moses shoots, he scores!

http://www.neilscrim.co.uk

October 7th, 2009, 8:01 am #7

This has been a fantastic series of WIP posts, and I have been fillowing it with great interest. The result is great, and the tonal differences between the Bronze Green and Medium Green look spot on. Excellent job.

I have been meaning to ask - does anyone know the provenance of this kit - was it originally a JB Models release?

Christopher

DH Vampire: Part I, Part II

Hawker Fury: Part I, Part II

DH Chipmunk: Part I, Part II, Part III, Part IV

AVRO Anson: Part I, Part II, Part III, Part IV, Part V, Part VI, Part VII, Part VIII, Part IX

Neil

Jesus saves .... he passes to Moses, Moses shoots, he scores!

http://www.neilscrim.co.uk

October 7th, 2009, 10:22 am #8

Best...Ted...
Andrew

October 7th, 2009, 12:30 pm #9

Best...Ted...
Your Vickers tank is an inspiration! Thank you for sharing the build with us!!!

October 7th, 2009, 1:16 pm #10

Best...Ted...
Fantastic outcome on a small scale! I enjoyed following along.