VFA-106 Hornet down in an apt complex in Va Beach, no fatalities so far...

VFA-106 Hornet down in an apt complex in Va Beach, no fatalities so far...

April 6th, 2012, 5:24 pm #1

2x crew punched out safe, A/C landed on two apt buildings, one reported unconscious on ground currently, no fatalities, situation developing...

Lynn

"History is not 'was', it 'is'." - William Faulkner

April 6th, 2012, 5:39 pm #2

When I was stationed there in the 1980's, there was a lot of open area around Oceana. I was there this past Sept for a VA-85 Reunion and was surprised at how the area has been built up.

Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck !

April 6th, 2012, 5:40 pm #3

2x crew punched out safe, A/C landed on two apt buildings, one reported unconscious on ground currently, no fatalities, situation developing...

Lynn

still no word on casualties but rescue personnel have not entered the buildings. The complex is in the approach pattern to Oceana.

April 6th, 2012, 5:40 pm #4

Lynn

Looked bad. No volume on tv, so no details, other than i-264 at birdneck rd. I pray all are safe. Apt bldg looks bad off...

"The FANS are fighting back!!!"
"The SECURITY GUARDS are fighting back!!!"
"The PEANUT VENDORS are fighting back!!!"

April 6th, 2012, 5:48 pm #5

still no word on casualties but rescue personnel have not entered the buildings. The complex is in the approach pattern to Oceana.
A friend is a former dispatcher and she's still tight with them, she's keeping me updated as she hears info.

Lynn

April 6th, 2012, 5:48 pm #6

When I was stationed there in the 1980's, there was a lot of open area around Oceana. I was there this past Sept for a VA-85 Reunion and was surprised at how the area has been built up.

Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck !

April 6th, 2012, 6:35 pm #7

Lynn

to control the encroachment getting closer and closer to the airfield. This nearly caused the Navy to pull the plug on NAS Oceana a few years ago, and the City finally realized they were serious about it. I hope and pray there were no injuries or fatalities, but this is only going to add fuel to the fire (no pun intended). If the Navy gets any grief about this from VB residents, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Navy pull up stakes and take their airplanes (and their million$) someplace else. And the financially depressed city of Virginia Beach will have no one to blame but themselves.

Bill (with parents still living in the NAS Oceana neighborhood)

April 6th, 2012, 7:17 pm #8

Yeah, but air strikes? (hoping humor not in bad taste)(n/t)
"Ignorance is bliss, but I find learning more interesting." - Me, as far as I know

April 6th, 2012, 7:51 pm #9

to control the encroachment getting closer and closer to the airfield. This nearly caused the Navy to pull the plug on NAS Oceana a few years ago, and the City finally realized they were serious about it. I hope and pray there were no injuries or fatalities, but this is only going to add fuel to the fire (no pun intended). If the Navy gets any grief about this from VB residents, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Navy pull up stakes and take their airplanes (and their million$) someplace else. And the financially depressed city of Virginia Beach will have no one to blame but themselves.

Bill (with parents still living in the NAS Oceana neighborhood)
NT
Last edited by f14tomcat on April 7th, 2012, 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 6th, 2012, 8:27 pm #10

;lkj;l

So a friend says: "cheer up things could be worse; so I cheered up and sure as hell Things Got Worse!