VF-111 F-14A Paint Schemes

VF-111 F-14A Paint Schemes

December 18th, 2014, 8:24 pm #1

I've got an F-14A Tomcat in the works and am planning on making it a VF-111 bird. Decals are incredibly hard to come by. I do have a Hasegawa set from a generous fellow modeler, but am slightly concerned with yellowing of the white and their age (i.e., they may just shatter).

I see FTD 48075...the next release, will include VF-111 as in the links below:

These decals aren't out yet, but at the rate I build I expect they will be by the time I'm ready for them (another pictures includes a 2/1/15 date...not too far off)

While I won't be ready for decals for a while, I have a couple of white intakes ready for their second color (i.e. 16440 or 36375 for TPS). What I am hoping to verify is if the bird is in the overall 16440 "light gull gray" scheme or the later TPS scheme. Based on the 1994 time frame and the profile, it looks like TPS. I believe this picture below is also TPS, although overall everything looks very light:

Would anyone be able to help provide input regarding this? Thanks for any help.

Eric

December 19th, 2014, 2:13 am #2

The bottom pic bird has weathered quite a bit. Note the splotchy tones on fuselage and inside port fin and also on the Phoenix pallet under the plane.. Also it is sitting in full sunlight under a partly to mostly cloudy sky, so how the film reacted to the exposure may show tones not as they really are on the aircraft.

Then, depending on what kind of film was used can affect the final print. And developing and printing the image can modify tones --- so using a photo can be a tricky item to interpret.

In 1/48 scale, you could probably fairly easily paint the fins white frst, then mask the white areas and spray the red. Do not apply red first as it will most likely bleed thru in time. At least on this Cat you aren't dealing with the yellow cut-lines that were on Scale Craft 1/48 F-4B CAG aircraft ....

Good luck with your project, George
Last edited by blueangelmodeler on December 19th, 2014, 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 21st, 2014, 7:33 pm #3

I've got an F-14A Tomcat in the works and am planning on making it a VF-111 bird. Decals are incredibly hard to come by. I do have a Hasegawa set from a generous fellow modeler, but am slightly concerned with yellowing of the white and their age (i.e., they may just shatter).

I see FTD 48075...the next release, will include VF-111 as in the links below:

These decals aren't out yet, but at the rate I build I expect they will be by the time I'm ready for them (another pictures includes a 2/1/15 date...not too far off)

While I won't be ready for decals for a while, I have a couple of white intakes ready for their second color (i.e. 16440 or 36375 for TPS). What I am hoping to verify is if the bird is in the overall 16440 "light gull gray" scheme or the later TPS scheme. Based on the 1994 time frame and the profile, it looks like TPS. I believe this picture below is also TPS, although overall everything looks very light:

Would anyone be able to help provide input regarding this? Thanks for any help.

Eric
That particular airframe that Fightertown is doing was in TPS grays. While the markings are similar to VF-111 markings from the Gull Gray era, they are different. You'll need to choose which paint scheme you want to use. FYI, the gun vents on the TPS VF-111 jet are the later NACA vents.